IGNORED

Blatant (*) kissing

Rattfink

I would have to agree with EScanlon on this idea. While MSA has grown a lot over the years they aren't a large corporation, they are still basically a family run business. Without having a web-site structured towards taking secure orders over the internet I doubt they would want to invest the money to do this just for us. I can remember Ken and Greg answering the phone to take orders the first few years I did business with them. I believe they might be willing to go for an ad on the site but that would be about all, they do sponsor race cars, but I doubt their advertising budget would be up to what you propose considering the investment they would have to make to bring your idea to fruition.

I believe the answer is somewhere in the club logo/t-shirts/hat's and/or member donations. While we do have over 1,000 members only about half are active. And of that number there is an even smaller number who are active at a high level. I believe if you look there are less than 100 members who have more than 10 postings so a lot of people join just so they can look thru the whole site or choose not to participate. What it will boil down to is the people that use it will need to support it or we will lose it if it becomes too expensive. There are other Z-sites but after looking at them I preferred this one, and as you can see I have been a "little too active". Once spring finally gets here I will have too much to do outside and someone else will have to take my place. So, IMO it will be up to the members to support the site in the end.

Oh, one more item.

I am seriously considering the 'donation' idea. It has been proven to be a reliable source of support in a community.

Members who donate to the club will get stars next to their name and a "Supporting Member" status... Not much, but, its a way for others to know who is supporting the site in some way or another.

Look at my name in this post to see the example.

So Mike,

after reading and thinking....(tough sometimes)...it seems the simplest would be plain old "cash donations to Mike". I would like to see shirts or grill badges, but i'd hate to see it flop and end up costing $, or taking 4 years to break even or something.

So while we (again, ahem..) are feeling generous, maybe you should post a mailing or Paypal address- you know, the "strike while the iron's hot" idea!

Maybe an icon on page 1 of the website- "click here to support" or something or other...

Let us know, thanks- your my home page- the wife "LOVES" it!

Okay, to 'strike while the iron is hot'... here's a link to our donate page through Paypal.

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">

<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">

<input type="hidden" name="business" value="sales@240z.org">

<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="$20 Donation">

<input type="hidden" name="item_number" value="Donate_20">

<input type="hidden" name="amount" value="20.00">

<input type="image" src="http://images.paypal.com/images/x-click-but21.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">

</form>

Click the button above to donate $20.

I was going to wait until the weekend so I have time to create a proper HTML document, but, I'm going to create a donation block to the front page with various amounts right now...

okay, okay, i made my "first" donation to Mike's cause!

Now about that star....

i'd like it 2001 Viper Yellow, with a black interior- like my 260!

Hope everyone will toss in a couple bucks if this site has ever helped them out (ahem):rolleyes:

Everyone here's great, really- Thanks.

BTW Mike- a mailing address for cash customers isn't a bad idea-

poor credit card-less 18 yr olds and such..plus i could send more w/out the wife thinking i have joined some craZy Z cult or something....LOL

I just spent a bunch of money on PayPal and have maxed my allowed limit (My Owner has me on rations). I do want to contribute, and I will but you are catching me by the short hairs right now.

I was coming on line to post that having checked out that cafepress site, I think it would be a good solution for the site. The artwork for the items could be a selection of A) the red / blue Z logo alone, B) same logo with the 240Z car background C) The other logo in the center of the page. The different items available you could automatically upcharge by 4-5 bucks EACH and still find people willing to buy them. Especially if they're both supporting your site AND getting a snazzy Cap, Shirt, Coffee Mug, Mouse Pad etc etc.

You wouldn't have to mark up ALL items that much, but a 10-20% mark up wouldn't be excessive.

In ADDITION to that, you could have the "Supporting Member" tag to give recognition and credit to those people who have gone and done a CASH donation.

But by doing BOTH, you would have better sources of ongoing income than cash donations. Otherwise, just how often do you think the "supporting members" are going to do so? Once a Month? 6 months, a Year? And what about the guys that are doing most of the answering of the posts, or moderating a forum, should they still "support"?

These are valid questions, and with my preface, people are probably going (he's just a tight-wad) when in fact I just bought over $500 worth of parts to try to get my baby back on the road and asking the wife for even another $20 bucks right now, well, let me phrase it this way, could one of you guys ask your wife / girlfriend if they have a few spare panties? Cause I'm certainly not going to have anything left to require Boxers or Jockey's after I ask for more money. (You know what I mean Vern?)

So, Mike would you check out that site? It may be that you could be "selling" shirts, mugs, and caps very soon and reaping some money to support the site.

I've added my $20 to Mike's fund, and I like EScanlon's suggestion that donors be identified, either by the "Supporting Member" tag or some special icon. However, I suggest we make sure we don't do anything that looks like we're creating an elite clique here, something that might discourage new members.

What may be "Hey, it's only $20" to some could be "Holy Mackerel - $20?!?!" to others. I place much more importance on growing and maintaining an active membership participation than on some personal ego boost, and I suspect that thought is shared by most of us.

I think we should by very clear that the $20 is a VOLUNTARY DONATION and not a membership requirement. I also think we should clearly point out that paying the $20 doesn't get the donor any special privileges other than the identifier on his or her member heading.

Enuf' Soapbox.

You're exactly right.. donations are purely voluntary. This site will ALWAYS remain free to anyone. There is also an identifier inside the username box of those who have donated. It says "Supporting Member"... take a look at my entry.. and, I also modified 2MZ's.. I'm working on the others.. Sorry, I've been busy. Catch up day is Saturday.