IGNORED

Rebuilding+

Hey guys, i want to rebuild most of my l28, but i need some help:

1: What tools do i need?

2: where can i find some additional info about this?

3: Is their a procedure for cleaning all of the internals?

4: Is their a way i can clean the outside of my engine without playing a crapload for a steam cleaner?

Thanks alot guys!

4. Take your car to the car wash and use their steamcleaner.

3. After you strip the engine you can either wash the internals yourself with some cleaning solvent or you can take it all to an engine shop and have it hot-tanked. They will also clean your pistons for about 5 bucks each.

2. There are a few books available that have a detailed outline on how to rebuild or modify your Datsun/Nissan engine. MSA has a few books that will help. But to get you started you should also pick up a factory service manual like a Chiltons or Hayes.

1. You will need alot of tools. Mostly metric. But a basic socket and wrench set from 6mm-21mm will get you started.

What ever you decide to do, do your homework first. Get the books and read, read, read. Nothing is worse than doing all this work only to have it blow up.

Good luck

Ed's right,

Im rebuilding an L28 right now. this is my second Z engine rebuild (going bigger.) Get a hayns manual and "how to rebuild your nissan OHC engine. Its a great book it will take you step by step through a rebuild. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931128030/qid=1081050271/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-6168570-9529502?v=glance&s=books

The most important thing is to do your research. Read, read, then for fun, do a little more reading. Also no your limits. If you don't think you can't handle it let the pros do it. I had my engine block hot tanked, bored, and honed, with freez plugs for $120 (US).

An other thing to do for a quality engine is to have the entire rotating mass balanced. the rods, pistons, crank, pully, flywheel, clutch pressure plate, timing gear, oil pump gear, and even piston rings. It will give you a smooth engine right past 6000 RPMs.

If you put enought time into it you can do it. Just 2 years ago I had never even worked on a lawnmower engine. Now I feel like I could rebuild just about anything.

Good luck, Matt

Big bore 3.1 ... that's one of my dream engines! That's not an easy engine to build from what i've found. If you want to build a 3.1 stroker, you need a "perfect" F54 block and it has to be sonic tested to make sure that the cylinder walls are thick enough for the .120 thousands of a inch over bore. the engine must be ballanced by the best ballancer you can find, not the cheepest, the best! Oh yeah it should only set you back about $3000+ (US). But for 274 Ft lbs of torque at 2000 - 6000 rpms ROFL ... oooooohhh yeah!!!! hear are a cupel of sites that i've found.

Have fun, Matt-

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/index.htm

http://www.zhome.com/rnt/L28conversion/3031FAQ.html

WOW, not so much the money, but i have no idea how to get the cylinder boring done. Hey man, do you know of a kit like that i can buy just for rebuilding? just a little less complicated. Oh and does anyone know, what the head code on the 1978 280Z?

the 78 Head is an N47. It would make a great head for your stroker motor. Motor sport sells a "stroker kit" for only $1799 (US) for that low low price you get the pistons, rings, rods and crank... yep thats it. you still have to find an F54 block. Then the Machine shop that you pick must be the absolute best. with that big of a bore job the machine shop must have a torque plate for the F54 block and very few do. Engine balancing is a huge deal. The good news is that you can find an F54 block in any wreaking yard, for about $80. The other parts you will need is a deisel crank from a 1981 - 83 nissan maxima "deisel", now that is harder to find and it only cost $350. Don't forget about the 1973 240Z conecting rods with 9mm bolts thoes are only about $150 used. Then you will need pistons wich should only set you back about $35 each. It's much cheeper than buying the MSA stroker kit. But you have to find all the stuff ... so do you have more time or more money?ROFL Make sure that you check out thoes sites that I left in my last post on this thread, and check this site for more stroker info.

Long live the power of the 3.1!!

Matt-

If you want to do a basic rebuild things are not that complicated and not that expensive. Disassemble the block, take it to an engine shop have them hot tank it (which cleans it inside and out) replace the freeze plugs and hone the cylinder walls. Buy a rebuild kit to replace all gaskets, bearings and rings. Use new con-rod bolts and put it all back together yourself. No special machine shop required for this.:classic:

hey guys just to add to your 3.1 idea and a lil more. First off at courtesy nissan in texas they have the same big bore kit for only $1,200. http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CP&Category_Code=s30_nismo_borekit

Second, most of the L28 blocks can have this bore kit done to them and some can even go to 3.2L if you get bigger pistons for them. But, if you go that road dont count on ever getting that engine redone again get a spare block :) Thats what I'm looking to do this summer already found a machine shop that will do it all for me except reinstall the enigine in my car for about $300 and i already got a spare block just in case.

Anyways enjoy the info and the savings if you end up with the bore and stroek later guys.