IGNORED

Where to find this fitting?

Inf

Whoever made up that story doesn't know much about how the coolant flows through the intake/carb lines.

The water control valve stops the flow of coolant at around 80 degrees or so, so once the engine warms up, there is no coolant flowing through the intake lines anyways. If the water control valve malfunctions, the hot coolant causes vapor lock. The coolant only flows through the intake/carbs long enough to promote quicker warm up after a cold start.

I see, makes sense

If I were to plug this hole up on the thermostat housing, I guess it would be appropriate to replace that y-pipe on the other side of the motor with a simple angled pipe running from the heater hose to the inlet line hose?

I'm not too concerned with original appearance on things like this, and a simpler engine bay is a definite plus to me. If it wasnt so late I would run out to the garage and start reading up out of some of my manuals.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Whoever made up that story doesn't know much about how the coolant flows through the intake/carb lines.

The water control valve stops the flow of coolant at around 80 degrees or so, so once the engine warms up, there is no coolant flowing through the intake lines anyways. .

Thanks for chiming in with this info, Keith. I knew that flow got cut off at some point, but didn't know the tempurature that triggered it. That noise about hot spots in the head due to blocking the intake pre-heat line was kinda amusing. How does "flow" ocur at low temps with the Thermostat closed? Where is the flow coming from and going to? I can see tempurature being transmitted through water into the intake, but ................

I wonder if the control valve is even available from Nissan, should someone need one?

I finally found a 1/4 NPT tap at Ace Hardware (Home Depot just scratched their heads). The plug I got at a performance auto parts store. Stainless steel allen head NPT plug for $2.11.

• 2 weeks later...

Carl:

Actually I called Courtesy while the forums were down and asked them if they could still get the water control valve. They can still order it from Nissan, but it comes out to $51.74 or something like that. I'm just gonna plug it off, having better idle on the few cold days we have in Texas is not worth $51.74 to me when more pressing things need to be bought!

Ed:

Guess i'll check Ace tomorrow for taps. I've been working on plugging some balance tube holes up (1/8" and 1/4" bspt), home depot and lowes were both pretty useless for npt taps.