IGNORED

Metal headlight bucket?

kurtwwalters

i won a 74 and i have both metal fender extensions,but i know a guy with the exact same car but came out a month earlier than mine with fiberglass,both have clean titles and have never been wrecked...well at least in the front

The car may not have been wrecked, but trust me when I say that Nissan did not build any 240/260/280Z's after the 1972 Model Year, that were imported into North America, with anything other than metal headlight nancelles.

While the 73 240-Z's has to comply with the 2.5mph standard for bumpers - the 74's had to meet the full 5mph bumper standards...

The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards were very strictly enforced on all import cars after 1971. Prior to that year, manufacturers could get wavers for minor production changes if they imported less than 50K units. After 71... the cars complied or were returned to the factory. The fines and hassles levied by the Fed's just didn't justify non-compliance with the FMVSS.

Trust me - I worked for Datsun then.. if you or anyone else has a 74 Z with fiberglass headlight nancelles.. some previous owner changed them from the originals that came on the car.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl,

I have been using Fiberglast for years-shortly after the owner died,and the wife took over- what a difference she made! They are not the cheepest, but they are the most knowledgeable, and the most willing to share info. Their videos and printed materials are excellent, as are their composit materials.

Will.

• 2 weeks later...