IGNORED

how can you tell a 240Z from a 280Z?

julioenr0103

I thought so too (firewall VIN number) but that suggestion never got replied to and I have seen Zs with those numbers covered over. A stock 240 will weigh anywhere from 300 to 400 pounds less than a 280, which I know you are aware of but perhaps someone not completely educated in early Z history.

Tailights and taillight trim can be placed on a 240 (as is the case with the Bob Sharp/Paul Newman "280" race car that has a VIN number lower than 16 and was the one that a model caved the roof in during a photo shoot).

Metal headlight buckets were standard on '73s but are not reliable as many have been replaced over the years.

Diffs, engines, and tranny all are interchangeable, as are most interior pieces. That being said the 240s had very different seat brackets than the 280s. which would be difficult to exactly duplicate ( I know, we sell them). The same for frame rails.

And, I was having a bit of fun too re: weight.

I checked the vin# from the firewall and it was the same as the dash, HLS30 216985, and finally I have a bill of sale from previous owners saying that is a 1975, so I guess is a 260Z, jaja what I never thought it was. also since the car is hmm with no interior seats and lots of parts missing, jajaja I think weighting the car would be too difficult and not really realiable. Thanks for all your help, appreciated a lot.

No, a 260Z should have been titled as a '74. 280Z's started in '75. Also, while both the 240Z and the 280Z VINs started with 'HLS30' the 260Z VINs started with 'RLS30' instead. I've also seen charts that claim that all cars with VINs over 200000 were 280Zs. So it sounds to me as if your car started life as a 280Z. Of course, what is in it now is anybody's guess.

In your first post you say the car has an ECU. If so, it's a 280Z. There were a few left over 260Z's titled as 75's, since Datsun didn't quite have the 280Z ready for the introduction of the 75 models but they would not have been fuel injected. But later you say it has an L26 with su carbs which would indicate a 260Z. That ECU comment kind of throws me, though, since a 260 wouldn't have one. The "HLS" prefix denotes a 280Z (or a 240Z but I think we can rule that out).