IGNORED

keyed up

zhead240

I am a Husky and it was not meant as an attack but rather a compliment if you really were scooping them all up to resell for a profit. It should come as no surprise that a Husky is successful enough to afford a $365.80 set of keys.

I think maybe you have Coug'd it by lashing out at me.

Your prescision rebuttals are admirable but misguided in this case so just chill out dude.

Hey Mike B, I don't think people are attacking you or butting into your business. Patrick just posted a question about the price of a key and who knew? I don't, never had to price one. Some say you can get them, some say its getting harder. Now we have an idea. Nothing personal and your Husky bud was just goofiing with you. Its all good!!

NCZ, I agree posting the original question was not the problem. The problem as I see it is when people go beyond offering a reasonable opinion of whether the price was high or not and start making personal comments like the ones I specifically mentioned (such as Unkle's fool comment). Regarding ddezso's comment and my response, I think it was justifiable for me to interpret it the way I did based on the other comments, but if his intent was not to jump on the criticism bandwagon (as it apparently was not) I appologize for the mistake. It is hard not to get upset when you see people attacking you without knowing the whole story and others that make it seem like any part can be had by just making a trip to the local dealer. I wish it were that easy to get Z parts and that they were all inexpensive.

Regarding some specific comments that were made towards me:

Carl Beck: “I wonder how many blank keys dag1955 has stashed away... and how much uwhusky89 will spend in total... What if dag1955 has a whole case of them!! too funny...”

I would expect more out of the president of the IZCC. You know what I find too funny Carl? Someone that bids $99 on a RARE 25 page dealer service bulletin (eBay Item number: 8024377624) and then criticizes me for buying NOS keys.

Hi Mike.

Hey - it was just a comment on the humor of the situation, and ebay in general. Didn't intend it to offend either the unknown seller, nor lurking buyer. I also did not see, nor intend any "criticism" of anyone with my comments.

I felt I could comment, as you have pointed out - I have paid silly to outrageous amounts of money for things I wanted on ebay, only to see another sell for 10% of that amount a few weeks later.. (the rare 25 page Dealer Service Bulletin isn't one of them... but I have an all but endless list of items that would fit).

Personally, I feel that paying stupid amounts of money for hard to find items - benefits the Z Car Community because it sends everyone else digging in their garage or attic, to find and rush those rare parts to market.. So I rationalize it that way...

All that said - I still find the mental image of dag1955 doling out one or two OEM Keys at at time... on Ebay.... fishing as it were for us suckers... Sorry, been there done that (took the bait so to speak)... and it still strikes me as funny.

As for expecting more of the president of the IZCC - hell, I just one of the Z Car Nuts, that's worked very hard to provide and/or share as much information about our Z's as possible, to the entire Internet Community... I'm not a politician... don't have any commercial vendors or sponsors to suck up to... I very rarely intend to offend anyone, but do most often try to call it like I see it..

As I see it - it's still a funny situation, now made even more so... no offense intended.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Carl,

Ok. Maybe I'm over reacting to some of the comments. To be honest, I'm not especially proud of having spent so much for keys, but like I said they were important to me and I wanted to make sure I got them while they were available. I guess I just don't like seeing my eBay user ID "in lights" so to speak, especially in the context of being a fool who overpaid for something that is unimportant and easily obtainable. It sounds like you can sympathize with that. I doubt that the seller is sitting on top of a hoard of NOS 240z keys, but if he is and keeps selling them I have no problem with that. I also recently bought some other NOS datsun roadster keys (just because they were cheap) that may fit some of the 70 Z's (some were the WASO keys that I've seen mentioned on other threads) from a former datsun mail order business owner. Those were relatively cheap (under $10 each), but I think the later 240z keys are harder to obtain.

i've been checking ebay z listings for over 2 years and only seen 6 of these keys listed. your right they are hard to come by.my comment was ment to be humourous, it don't see it as an attack on you. i never noticed it was the same person till someone mentioned it.my thoughts were exactly the same as carl's.i've seen other items listed as rare and one of a kind only to see it sold and come up again a few months later by the same person.by the was, 6 for 6- i think that's got the market cornered.JK

ps- you would have remained anonymous if you had not told us.

Hi Mike, I'm guilty of a similar purchase, though not for my Z. I have a '91 Cadillac Allante. The original Goodyear tires that came as OEM on the cars are no longer available, as they were made specifically for the Allante's and were not used on any other vehicle.

I stopped in at a nearby Goodyear tire shop to see if they had any, and of course they didn't. But, the manager contacted someone at Goodyear, and found 6 tires at various tire shops around the country. I paid $1500 for all six, with the intention of keeping 4 for myself and selling the other two. Call me greedy, but I later decided to keep all 6, just in case.

Did I really need them, no the car already has good tires. But, I got to thinking, if I ever get the car up to concours standards, I'll need those tires. Sad part is, I probably never will...

Mike , settle down . No flame intended, as you can't see me smile when I added my two cents in . Sure you're no fool , I can see that by you justifying the 76.00 per blank . Now I understand ! :rolleyes:ROFL ROFL ROFL .

Seriously , I didn't mean to rough you up about something as small and insignificant as a key blank . Happy New Year , I'll send you that case tomorrow . :laugh:

I don't mind these threads, personally....I've been around long enough to know that most people's critiques of "extraordinary purchases" is not meant as serious insults--more like a bunch of folks just chatting. Nothing personal or serious intended...unless "He who shall not be named" is involved. One must realize that a group of people watch these auctions (some quite closely) and activities related to them are going to be discussed, whether one wishes it or not....

I do find it interesting how we pitch fits over $1200 hubcaps and $100 keys and $400 taillights and $1000+ dashes, then grump about how our cars don't generate a lot of revenue when fine examples are sold on Ebay, other auction sites, or NADA/KBB estimations. Guess it just depends on what side of the fence you're on as far as whether you've finished your resto or not!

Someday, when I have disposable cash, I'm gonna pay a mint for something inane, and revel in the glory of having my own "crazy Ebay auction" thread.....someday.....:stupid:

Steve

i guess the right terminology is series5 and series6. as u know there is no upside down on these keys but one is a mirror image of the other. if u look at the key as u would down the barrel of a gun the grove starts on the right and for the other series on the left. i know that one key fits all locks supposively but on my zed on key fits all except the hatch and it takes the other series key.i hope this clear it up a titch.

I thought Orginally 1 key fit ALL locks on a Z?

On my car, a 1971, I have the orginal keys as well, 1 key for all except for the Ignition, Which according to my documention was replaced in umm 1998-1999. explaining why it is a diff. newer style key.