IGNORED

Anybody building headlight relay harness?

nwcubsman

Ahh.. I see..

I didn't do it that way..

I suppose if you want to keep your wiring and connectors in tact, a custom harness would be in order.

Myself, I opened the harness by the frame rail and spliced in wiring for the relay setup in there, and upgraded some coming from the alternator at the same time. (and did the maxi fuse setup)

I would be interested as well, but for a 260. I am heading out for some contact cleaner now as my left headlight is dim. Of course I replaced the headlight before researching it here. :stupid:

I had the same problem and looked for all the worst things that could have gone wrong. Try this first. Remove the fuse for that circuit. Squeeze the prongs together (make sure the power if OFF first!) and re-insert the fuse. Sometimes these old fuse boxes get a little loose. It fixed my problem, hope it fixes yours. If not you must have a short somewhere.

Good luck!

Marty

depending on the year of the Z, The headlights receive 1 positive and 2 negatives. the 2 negs are your low and hi beam wires.

when the lights are turned on to low beam, the wiring is as follows

1) main positive is sent from the switch to the headlight

2) the low beam wire turns into a negative (in order to complete the curcuit)

3) the high beam wire receives a positive also to keep it from turning on until you flip the switch

when you flip the passing switch to hi beam:

1) the low beam wire turns into a positive

2) the hi beam wire turns into a negative

3) the main power wire stays positive

When you shut off the lights on a 70' thru 72 1/2', the power wire and the two other wires (hi and low beam) turn into positives (all 3 +) Don't ask me why, I did'nt design the thing. I only tried to improve on an existing design

When you shut off the lights on the 72 1/2' thru late 73', the positive shuts down and the hi/low wires turn into negatives, thats why I had to change my harness wiring on the first harness's that I made. Because my relays had power (+) from the battery and negatives (-) from the relays, my relays turned on after you shut the lights off.

I fixed this by getting my relay power from the headlight plug instead of the battery. With no power (+) from the plug, the relays could'nt turn on.

It sounds confusing but thats me, I can take you from understanding something to complete confusion in 3.5 seconds flat.

This is what I'm working on for the tail lights. I might have a simple fix for the dull parking lights that the 240Z's have.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=157640&posted=1#post157640

Dave:

As one of your satisfied customers from your prior product, I have no doubt that you will provide an EXCELLENT item.

However, since I installed your Headlight Harness, ALL of my other lights are significantly brighter.

Would you be so kind as to explain how this new item would benefit those of us who are using the Headlight Harness kit?

Enrique

Simply, my dear Watson. Although the headlight switch is no longer pulling nearly as much current thru the fusebox and the switch, The wiring is still 32+ years old and the parking lights still go thru the headlight switch.

The switches contacts still get weeker with every turn (on/off) The fuse still gets hotter than it should and so does the wire related to that fuse.

The power for the parking lights still comes from the battery to the fusebox, then to the switch, then back over to the passenger side kick, then out to the front and rear of the car, all via old wiring. Boosting the power just after the switch will help increase the output to the lights by over 1.5 volts, which we all know is a lot when it comes to Datsun lights.

I replaced all of fuses, used contact cleaner, and squeezed the prongs together to regain full headlight power. The uneccessary new left light is now brighter than the original right one, what to do, what to do???

I had the same problem and looked for all the worst things that could have gone wrong. Try this first. Remove the fuse for that circuit. Squeeze the prongs together (make sure the power if OFF first!) and re-insert the fuse. Sometimes these old fuse boxes get a little loose. It fixed my problem, hope it fixes yours. If not you must have a short somewhere.

Good luck!

Marty

I replaced all of fuses, used contact cleaner, and squeezed the prongs together to regain full headlight power. The uneccessary new left light is now brighter than the original right one, what to do, what to do???

How about a new light in the right side? If its a old headlight it

will tend to be not as bright as the new one.