IGNORED

Hook for shoulder belt - where?

SteveInOakland

Mike W, the grey interior in your Z looks fantastic. Does the SEM dye hold up well on the plastic parts?

Thanks. I've only had it for a couple of years now so I can't say how well it will last in the long run. For now it looks really good. In my case, the interior was originally tan and a previous owner had dyed it all black without me even realizing. After 20+ or so years the black was rubbing off in spots but I can't say that it was all that bad. I carefully tried to remove as much of the black as possible using acetone and cotton balls. I then prepped it all as well as I could using SEM soap and then SEM vinyl prep (at least on the vinyl). So far it seems to be holding up well. I just did a quick test for you. I turns out that I had some extra plastic panels. I had dyed one of them before realizing that it wouldn't fit in my car. The right side rear quarter panel plastic has a bulged out area that covers the expansion tank. This was apparently re-designed at one point because the first panel I dyed wouldn't fix over the tank. I needed a panel with the bigger bulge which was quite obvious when I compared the two side-by-side. I just took that piece and had to rub on it fairly hard with some coarse sandpaper before the gray came off. Since I have extra dye it will always be easy to touch it up in case it does get rubbed or scratched.

I used SEM dye on an old Chevy pickup I had, dyed the dash pad as well as the door panels. Still looked great when I sold the truck 8 years later. SEM is a great product. Just like any paint, surface prep is the key, don't scrimp and try to do it without using the SEM vinyl prep.

Nice interior Mike! I didn't realize you did your dash in color. Nice!

Arne, I'm not sure of anything! No sooner do I think a certain date applies than I find an exception. It all leads me to believe that there is nothing certain about what when and where - just generalities. I have never held in my hand a solid plastic seat mounted belt hook. Is it different from the plastic belt hook side mounted?

Hi Guys,

Thought I would jump in with some know info. I am the original owner of a 1/71 240z, and it came off the showroom with the seat mounted smaller shoulder J-hooks. As my car was one of the very last series 1 cars, I would assume that all series 1 cars came this way.

Hope this helps. I would be happy to provide any further info.

Dan

• 3 years later...

My '72 doesn't have any of the 3 screws/fasteners for the B pillar trim. I recently found a pair of coat hooks. What type and size of screw should I use for them?

It looks like the middle screw uses a plastic washer and screw (type and size?).

For the bottom hole, are the seat belt clips available anywhere? What type and size of screw fits this hole?

Thanks!