IGNORED

Barrett Jackson Auction, Scottsdale

Duffman

For every few goofy ricers that is a hard core Japanese car affcianado. Just today a 20 year old Chinese girl was in my shop having me machine the Cusco camber plates for her Evo 8. She autocrosses, drifts, and does open track events.

She spent the entire couple hours she was here going over and crawling under a dirty, greasy 240Z shell that I'm going to build into a Solo2 SM2 car for a customer. She said whe would really want to drive and race a 240Z or a 510 and is saving her money. Right now she can only afford one car payment so a $24,000 used Evo 8 fills the bill for her.

....{Snipped..cjb}...

..... Again, this will be for the high end perfect low mileage car OR for a race car with well documented history. I can think of several people who would consider paying $100K for Gerry Mason's original BRE Z....and I am sure that Carl Beck would not take less than $50K for his restored BRE off road Z.

....{Snipped..cjb}...

Hi Ron (everyone):

Of course I have to believe that you have that backwards;-) I can also assure you that I have already turned down a far greater figure than you mention.

BRE is "Brock Racing Enterprises" after all. Mr. Brock is among the better known names in the automotive design world and with Datsun in race car preparation circles. Moving from the design team under Bill Mitchell where the Corvette Sting Ray was designed, to the Shelby American Racing Team where he designed the Shelby Cobra Dayton Coupe, to establishing his own Racing Enterprise (as well as many significant accomplishments between).. All of the cars associated with Mr. Brock are highly sought after now, and I believe will be more-so in the future.

While the BRE #3 car is certainly one of them... the BRE Baja Z is the only one both prepared by BRE and driven by Mr. Brock himself. According to Mr. Brock, Baja presented the greatest challenge to race car preparation of any competitive event, and was "The Race" he most wanted to win.

While many people are un-aware of Mr. Brock's association with Off-Road Racing, and his long term association with the Baja... I'm personally hoping that will change as the BRE Baja Z is completed, and gains broader publicity over the coming year.

There are several historically significant C-Production 240-Z's. The BSR car that won the Championships with Bob Sharp and later his son Scott for example. The BSR/Fitzy car (HLS30 0006) and the Bob Speckman car (HLS30 0008) - first Z to finish the 24 Hours of Daytona - both of which have the added distinction of being the lowest VIN cars in the country..... If you count Roadsters, 510's and Z's here are several "BRE cars" still around - maybe a couple of BRE Baja 510's out there too - - - -but there is only 1 BRE Baja Z.

It may be just my opinion - but the BRE Baja Z is not only "unique" in several regards.... it's neat as hell <vbg>.

Time will tell....

kind regards,

Carl

I know that Gerry has had offers, I could assume that you have as well, (although I don’t know for how much)...I have as well, Nissan has said that if I ever want to sell they are interested, and my car is a replica...

My point was that there are several Z cars that are very valuable already...And I could name a few. I apologize if I low-balled the implied value of your car....essentially my comment was correct; you would not even entertain an offer of $50k. :) :)

Oh, and yes Carl your car is neat as hell!

Most original, unrestored cars are NOT perfect. They have factory paint drips, sloppy orange peel and uneven gaps. This is how the cars came from the dealer. Many cars today that are restored to original are actually over-restored. Our bodyshop just did a 65(?) convertible Barracuda back to original and the owner wanted these little "factory flaws". A judge with any sense of originality will know that this is how the car should appear.

Attend an AACA show and see if you see a perfect car. I really don't think there is any such thing.

Vicky

A guy I worked with about 10 years back restored a Top Flight award winning Corvette. He took great pains not to over-restore the car. I can recall even now the yellow weatherstrip adhesive slopped all over the door jams. On purpose, of course, because that's the way they did it in the early '70s in Bowling Green.

Did you guys know that Pete Brock designed and built an aluminum bodied Can Am car in the mid 1960s? It just finished a $500K restoration and it was out at WSIR yesterday being shaken down, along with Pete and his wife.

Hi John (everyone)

Yes, I knew that... did you know Mr. Brock also designed a prototype racing machine for Toyota - to run in FIA Group 6?

Shin Yoshikawa writes, in his book on the Toyota 2000GT:

{Quote..}..

By 1968, the Toyota 2000GT has shown tremendous promise on the racetrack despite its luxurious road-car roots. Still early production-based 2000GT racers had, not surprisingly, come up short against pure-race prototype such as the Porsche 906 and the Prince R380. Toyota was quick to realize that to move up to the top echelon of sports-car racing, a dedicated competition car was in order - something totally different from a machine you could realistically drive on the street.

Since the early 60's manufacturers such as Ford, Porsche, Maserati and Ferrari had all created purpose built min-engined sports-prototypes to carry their name to glory at places like Le Mans, leaving their mechanically distinct road cars to merely reap the rewards in the showrooms. Toyota wanted to take just such a step, and realized the 2000GT might still serve as its springboard.

However the company's lack of top-level racing experience meant creating a competition prototype would be a major step into uncharted territory. Toyota was faced with options: Examine (or essentially copy) an already proven design, as Prince had done with the Braham-derived R380, or contract an independent racing firm to develop an all-new car, ideally around enough factory derived components to claim some kind of corporate kinship. Toyota chose the latter.

The firm already had a contract with American Racer Carol Shelby, who had campaigned production based 2000GT's in SCCA competition. However the sketches of another American with strong credentials, Peter Brock, intrigued Toyota's executives so much that he was chosen to develop the machine instead.

Brock's initial drawings outlined a mid-engined coupe powered by the 2000GT's Type 3M engine and built to compete in Group 6 at LeMans. The car became known as the 400S in Toyota's development codel back in Brock's California workshop, it was the JP6.

Brock, who a few years earlier had designed America's first FIA World Championship car, the Shelby Daytona Coupe, put his strong of styling, suspension technology and aerodynamics into the project, and to this day he looks back on the JP6 as one of his best creations. {end quote}......

By the way - Mr Brock also did design for Maserati .. one of his cars is also currently being restored in Europe.

A talented and accomplished man indeed...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL

http://ZHome.com

John, Carl. I had heard about the car from Pete....I knew he was going to be out testing around the first of the year, but I did not realize it was going to come out this quickly....

BTW, Pete is now answering the phone as Brock Racing Enterprises again...Sounds like BRE is back.