IGNORED

240z rack lube

HKSZ

Stephen, pulled the outer end boots off the other day and my old "Z Doctor" had used the same grease he put in the wheel bearings. That was on the ends I could see. I'll check my manual and see what it says. I'm at the same point.

ditto on the wheel bearing grease.

i had the grease fittings on 1 side and a plastic plug on the other side which i replaced with a grease fitting. shot it with the grease gun and all seems well.

never heard about the gl4 oil being used, i'd be interested to hear more.

Thanks, I've got the hole on the LHs of rack which is pluged for grease I guess. Below the slack adj nut I have another small bolt, which I opened expecting oil to run out but it appears to be blocked with grease, from the manual you have to fill the rack by removing the slack nut etc.

On closer inspection it seems the LH inner tie rod is loose, can this be replaced or does it mean the whole rack refurb

• 18 years later...

Ok searched greasing the steering rack on the site, here we are.  

73 240z, purchased a rebuilt steering rack ungreased. What is the procedure?  how do you know it's greased enough?

Single grease fitting under the steering shaft spline. Do I need to add a second grease fitting on the passenger side small bolt?

Thanks.  

Having a hard time understanding why they would rebuild a rack and not grease it during the process. Just can’t imagine how it has not been lubricated.

• Agree 1

All you can really do now is remove the rubber boot on the P/S, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right so that it is exposing as much of the P/S rack as possible and grease it up well. Turn the wheel all the way back and forth to spread the grease around and before you put the boot back on put some grease inside the boot.  It will be decades before it needs greasing again.

8 hours ago, grannyknot said:

All you can really do now is remove the rubber boot on the P/S, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right so that it is exposing as much of the P/S rack as possible and grease it up well. Turn the wheel all the way back and forth to spread the grease around and before you put the boot back on put some grease inside the boot.  It will be decades before it needs greasing again.

P/S rack?