How tight should the chain be - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

How tight should the chain be

Featured Replies

Pardon what may be a newbie question. I am rebuilding my daughter's 1981 280zx engine. The block is rebuilt, as is the head.

Right now I am at the point where I have put on the timing chain. The replacement chain (from ITM) had the 'silver links', and I lined up the crank mark with the #1 hole on the cam itself and the #1 marker on the gear.

My question has to do with how tight the chain should be. After putting on the 2 chain 'guides' and the tensioner there is no play at all. Both guides are tight against the chain itself.

Is this normal ? Should I be happy they are tight ?

== Glen

Very tight. No play at all. Sounds like you done good.

like Chris said....you done good! g/fine, the job of the cam chain tensioner to to maintain zero slack in the chain.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.