IGNORED

Fuel in oil on new engine rebuild

78 280zcar

I will check that when I do the compression test. I live in apartments and they wont let me work on my car here:mad: . I hate that because its the only way to get away from the ball and chain so to say. So I have to get it towed to my mother in laws house to work on it. I cant even change plug wires over here without the manager yelling up the hole in my assLOL.

Thanks for all the help and I will keep you posted, but it will take a while because I am waiting on my taxes to come back. At least the engine looks cool

post-4357-14150796806581_thumb.jpg

Change the oil and filter before you run the engine any more . And do check the plugs , some one already said that they thought an injector is at fault. I agree . Since you have rebuilt the engine , go the extra yard and install new injectors , or at least take yours in and have them cleaned . My 2¢

Think about the interface....where does fuel and oil meet in the L28 .

Answer, is only in the cylinder. Fuel on top, oil on bottom.

For the two to mix means a short circuit...and the only interface is the

piston rings.

So, if a cylinder is not firing due to poor ignition, its raw fuel is staying

in the cylinder, bypassing the rings somehow, then diluting the oil below.

I don't see any connection to bearings, nor head gaskets.'

However, with 2,000 miles on new rings, they should have seated OK

by now.

Which leads to the question about fuel in the oil? Is it just by smell?

The only direct interface via gasket is the coolant/oil in the front cover.

Just my 2 cents...good luck.

Just read your post about Witch Hunter after I posted

and I highly recommend. He rebuilt my injectors and

they work great

Think about this a little further. Bearings, journals, rings, cam lobes ALL require lubrication. If you dilute the only lubricating fluid in the engine (OIL), the lubricating properties of that fluid are compromised. Hence my statement that all of those items could be damaged if the engine was run in this condition for too long. I stand by that statement.

How will anyone know it they are damaged? Take it apart and check everything out, or just fix the fuel issue and keep your fingers crossed and watch for sights, sounds & smells of doom coming from the engine.

The injectors are flow tested when received by them...with

printed results....and then retested after rebuild....with the printed

comparison .

The running results were noticable....much better response and

performance...well worth the $$ .

I got them returned with the 2" of new hose already attached

which made connection to MY JSK fuel rail that much eaiser.

Just a thought, but if there was damage done to the bearings would there be metal shavings in the oil? And if so, would attaching a strong magnet to the drain plug and running the engine attract those metal shavings to the drain plug? Thus telling you if the bearings were damaged?

Ed:

My guess would be that eventually there could be metal particles to be found, but not necessarilly immediately if they weren't too badly damaged.

In the case of the Toyota truck that I had a similar problem with, the rings were the first things to show sign of damage (poor compression), and they were the only parts I had to replace other than the carb parts to fix the cause of the problem. FWIW, we only ran the truck for about 30-40 miles before discovering the problem. I had changed the oil on Sunday, and took the truck to get gas for my wife on Monday. Checked the oil and it was 1/2 QT overfull and STUNK.