IGNORED

SpareTire

graham53

Just out of curiousity, when was the last time any of you all had a flat tire? I personally can't remember having a flat tire in over 30 years....maybe just lucky or maybe just paying attention!!? I also run no spare tire in my 240Z....with 17" wheels.

Tom

To me that's like asking when was the last time I had a hard drive fail. Doesn't mean I shouldn't be prepared, one way or another. Whether it's a useable spare tire, or a way to contact road service, I want to be ready just in case.

To me that's like asking when was the last time I had a hard drive fail. Doesn't mean I shouldn't be prepared, one way or another. Whether it's a useable spare tire, or a way to contact road service, I want to be ready just in case.

Easy Arne, I'm not saying you shouldn't be prepared. I agree about being prepared.......I just happen to choose a cell phone. So, do you keep an extra hard drive next to your CPU?LOL

Tom

So, do you keep an extra hard drive next to your CPU?LOL
Nope. Remember that by trade I'm a server geek, so the second drive is internal as well, setup as a RAID1 mirrored pair. I've got external Firewire drives for the laptop backups.

I had a leak last summer. I think I rolled a tire during autoX. Otherwise, I seem to pick up a nail or screw once a summer. Too much spirited driving into dirty street corners? Since that's usually a slow leak, I can make it to a repair

center.

thx

well Guys thanks for the input. It just didnt cross my mind untill i tried to put my old wheels on after the brake job and they wouldnt fit ( new 17's are a week away) I just thought I would use one of my old wheels as a spare but guess not.

That's something that was born in me. When I get a flat, I have a spare with me and the flat is fixed or the tire replaced as immediately as possible. I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere and won't get stranded all day if I can prevent it. As far as calling someone on the cell...What am I, a girl! (no disrespect towards girls, who many change their own flats). I've wondered about the space saver spares and also a Honda or other same bolt patterned wheel that would clear the disc upgrade. What does fit? & Who's using one?

Ron-

That's a good attitude, but I'm sure there are those who are in the "All I need is a 45 autoMag and a AAA card to handle any roadside emergency" group who have tossed their spares in the corner because it's no longer necessary...

Those types will still be waiting while you're at the pub having your second pint. :)

Cell phones are for calling ahead to the restaurant for reservations, or to tell the wife you'll be home late from the fishing trip!

thx

The question of what will fit comes up quite a bit and I don't think we have ever heard from someone with a definitive solution to this problem. I don't think anyone has ever come forward and said "here's what I did..it works". It has started me thinking of other alternatives. One thought, would be using a specialized spacer that could work with a smaller rim, even if it protrudes out, you could still travel on it at least as well as a space saver. Another thought is, temporarily removing the caliper with a shim fitted inbetween the pads and suspending it safely out of the way. You could at least make a regular size spare fit in the well and it would get you to a place where a permanent repair or replacement could be bought.

Having just installed new "big" brakes myself I too was wondering how my spare tire would fit over them but then like an idiot I realized that I could rotate a rear tire/wheel up front and mount the spare on the rear. Problem solved, unless you don't count the fact my spare tire had no air in and I took it out to balance the car at 50% front-rear (51% crossweighted with me in it). I'll be looking into a spare Honda tire now too.