IGNORED

SpareTire

graham53

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Hmmm... Try one. It might be OK. The diameter should be fine. The only thing that might be an issue is the width, but in theory, you're less than .400 inches wider than stock.

Maybe you're looking at a non-problem!

I had to go find the tire size I used, and look up the OE size - for some reason I didn't document either. I don't recall the spare being full size though  - I discarded it not long after getting the car.

The problem with most wheels (such as the Honda suggestion)  is that the offset for FWD is not going to clear big brakes, I believe

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 10.25.36 PM.png

Searching for a spare also brought up a range of other 15" wheels I wouldn't mind - I liked the Rota's I had on my X1/9 - that brand has a 4 spoke 4x114.3 - but it's 15x8 - I don't know if that will clear the strut tube. I really don't need another set of wheels & tires to play with right now...

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 10.29.58 PM.png

Edited by HusseinHolland
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HusseinHolland said:

The problem with most wheels (such as the Honda suggestion)  is that the offset for FWD is not going to clear big brakes

I found that exact situation when I was looking for a spare for my car. Now granted, I was limiting my search to donut space saver spares, but I had fitment issues with the front brakes. The little drums in the rear were fine, but I was hitting the caliper up front.

And my car, being a 77, has the reduced size spare tire well. You don't have that complication.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - finally found a wheel that seems like it should work (on Amazon, so I could return it fi not) - Hyundai 15x5.5, 4 x 114.3 ET45 - can't find any RWD offset steelies in this size and bolt pattern

Dorman 939-200

Needs a 3/8 - 1/2" spacer to make sure the tire will clear the strut spring seat. brake clearance is plentiful

PXL_20240710_193450889.jpg

I have 205/50x15's on there.

PXL_20240710_203700447.jpg

185/55x15 is close enough rolling OD, and narrower so should fit nicely in the spare well. Ordered a 185/55R-15 SUMITOMO HTR ENHANCE LX2 SL from Tirerack

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 6.57.01 PM.png

13 minutes ago, HusseinHolland said:

Needs a 3/8 - 1/2" spacer to make sure the tire will clear the strut spring seat. brake clearance is plentiful

Why not "stretch" a narrower tread on to the rim?  It's just s apare.  No spacer necessary.

5 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Why not "stretch" a narrower tread on to the rim?  It's just s apare.  No spacer necessary.

Because I want the same rolling OD. I'm assuming the tire will sit approx 1/4" outside the wheel rim.  Since it is narrower than the tires I'm running, it may in fact be OK with just the 1/4" spacer I already need for the Konigs to clear the calipers

wheelspacer.jpg

Get a higher profile. 70 instead of 55. Didn't do the math but there's a lot of room above 55.  Just seems more complex than necessary.  I understand wanting the same diameter for steering or differential.  I think that there are other ways to get there.  

Since you'll be using tapered lug nuts you'll need to be more aware of thread engagement.  You're going to lose 3/8 - 1/2" with a spacer.  There's probably enough but it's one more thing...

FWIW, I fitted a 185/70 to my OE steel spare wheel and it is an exact fit in the spare tire well, the spare tire cover fits nicely into it's original position. As an aside, for anyone running aftermarket wheels there is a possibility that that the lug nuts may not be a good fit against a OE steel wheel so place a bag with a set of OE lug nuts in with the spare tire.

• Like 3