IGNORED

240z - Hand Throttle - Need Help

FilipeA

Hi

I have a set of original part with the ckoke and throttle knobs, also had the gas pedal with the little clip on it, WHAT IS MISSING is the bracket and the throtlle cable I guess it was cuted.

I would like to mount it on my 1971 240z, but more information is needed.

Can anyone give some exact information about this bracket, and the hand throtlle cable, like measures, where it is fix.

I already had some pictures that shows me very clear where it goes, but no measures, so if anyone has it, please tell me something.

Thank You

Filipe Azevedo

Bloody dangerous thing is that hand throttle. I'm sure the PO got rid of it for the same reason. You should to.

I'll measure mine tonight for you unless Marty gets there first.

They weren't meant to be used while driving. They are an aid to warming the car up, so you don't have to sit there with you foot on the gas pedal. I love it and buy another for my other Z in a heartbeat. So, if you want to sell yours, I'll take it off your hands!

Mine is parked in a bad position to take measurements (hibernating for the winter!). If you can't get to yours, I'll see what I can do on the weekend.

Marty

Pictures didn't make it. Let's try that again.

Marty

Hi Marty

My set is just the same as yours, the only thing that is missing is the bracket that is located under the dash tha holds the hand throttle.

I guess the hand throtlle cable is missing something or was cuted off. I would like to have the measures of the hand throttle cable and the bracket, like taller where is it located (more or less) because I can order someone to make it and put it on the car.

I would like to install it, and see it function. :laugh:

Filipe A

Filipe:

The bracket you might be referring to is nothing more than a cable clamp bracket. It attaches to the dash frame to lock the cable in place directly in line with the Accelerator Pedal Clevis (that funny looking "horn" on top of the accelerator linkage).

The most critical part of the Hand Throttle is that washer visible in the last picture Marty posted. That is what allows the accelerator pedal to operate under normal foot operation, and still allow the cable from the Hand Throttle to slide through the Clevis. The washer actually snaps into the clevis.

As far as length, if yours has been cut such that your cable doesn't have an end, then just have it cut to the length you need, and only leave as much cable outside the sheath as required for the travel in the lever. You could probably go to a Bicycle or motorcycle shop and get what you need to repair it.

FWIW

E

Filipe:

The bracket you might be referring to is nothing more than a cable clamp bracket. It attaches to the dash frame to lock the cable in place directly in line with the Accelerator Pedal Clevis (that funny looking "horn" on top of the accelerator linkage).

The most critical part of the Hand Throttle is that washer visible in the last picture Marty posted. That is what allows the accelerator pedal to operate under normal foot operation, and still allow the cable from the Hand Throttle to slide through the Clevis. The washer actually snaps into the clevis.

As far as length, if yours has been cut such that your cable doesn't have an end, then just have it cut to the length you need, and only leave as much cable outside the sheath as required for the travel in the lever. You could probably go to a Bicycle or motorcycle shop and get what you need to repair it.

FWIW

E

HI

Thank You for your help! It`s really apreciated! I also though to go to a bicycle or motorcycle shop.

Besides that, I need the measures of the metal bracket that is located under the dash to insert the hand throtlle cable.

If anyone could give me the measures, taller, wide and any other that information that think will help, it will be just good enough.

Thank you

Fil

Filipe, I did not get a chance to answer your PM so I will do it here. My parts are wrapped up in the shop on the other side of town and I dont' get there very often. You will probably get cable measurements faster from this thread before I get out to the shop. I have a couple of pictures from taking 26th apart that will help, though. THe first is the firewall with the dash removed and the pedal cluster still in place. THe next is a close-up of the firewall with the pedal cluster removed. You can see the cable hanger in the lower right part of the picture. This hanger is peculiar to chassis fitted with the hand throttle originally. Of course, we have had the conversation about the wisdom of the hand throttle and how they were removed very soon after the HLS30 was imported into America. We had a conversation about the reference to the hand throttle being covered up in the early owner manuals.

You all might get a kick out of the close-up picture. You can see a couple of rust spots I had to take care of. But notice the dark green painted areas around some of the other brackets. Evidently, after 26th was painted, spot welds around the pedal cluster brackets were added and then covered up by hand paint. Also, inside the bracket there is no paint. Just primer and some bare metal with surface rust. I still have to take 27th apart, so I am anxious to see if there is something similar lurking beneath the dash.

post-4148-14150802468495_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1415080246909_thumb.jpg

Filipe:

Chris' (26th-Z) second picture shows the cable hold bracket that I, incorrectly, referred to as being part of the dash frame.

My car being an Automatic did NOT come originally with the Hand Throttle, however, I added it to mine and simply clamped the cable housing to the dash frame. That may be why my memory failed me.

Secondly, if you look at the first picture Marty posted, you'll see that the original Choke cable bracket is already fitted for the Hand Throttle. You can either use the shorter length lever or a Choke lever but on the right hand side pivot. The second shows the differences in the travel allowed to the Hand Throttle vs the Choke.

FWIW

E