IGNORED

NGK spark plug wires

rtaylor

I stopped by MSA on the way home from work today. I needed to pick up a set of NGK plug wires for my 71. I have yellow Taylor wires (great product name!) on my car now, but wanted the NGK wires to swap out for the MSA show this month. The Taylor wires are the only non stock/Datsun/Nissan item on the car now.

Guess what? The NGK wires are now electric blue, they no longer make the gray wires. Needless to say, I didn't buy them.

Anybody have any ideas on where to pick up a set of NGK gray wires?

I stopped by MSA on the way home from work today. I needed to pick up a set of NGK plug wires for my 71. I have yellow Taylor wires (great product name!) on my car now, but wanted the NGK wires to swap out for the MSA show this month. The Taylor wires are the only non stock/Datsun/Nissan item on the car now.

Guess what? The NGK wires are now electric blue, they no longer make the gray wires. Needless to say, I didn't buy them.

Yup, mine are blue, as pictured earlier in this thread. Don't know if gray ones are still available, I've not seen any.

For shows, I've been known to re-install my black 1971-date-coded wires....

I got my set of Nissan wires from Banzai Motorworks. If you go to www.zzxdatsun.com and check the catalogue item under loss leader it will show a pictured set. They are black wire with the red rubber plug connectors. Hope this helps.

Dan

I got my set of Nissan wires from Banzai Motorworks. If you go to www.zzxdatsun.com and check the catalogue item under loss leader it will show a pictured set. They are black wire with the red rubber plug connectors. Hope this helps.

Dan

Not quite correct for a 240Z, but closer than bright blue! (My stock wires have black or dark gray boots, can't remember which.)

Thanks guys. I didn't see the prior thread Tomo posted. I think I'll give Courtesy a call, but at $109 per set, that is pretty darn steep. I wonder if the nissan set they have have the original plug numbers like your originals Arne. I'll post once I call them and inquire.

You guys!

Buy a can of spray liquid electrical tape!

Wipe each wire down with a clean rag soaked in alcohol-reusing the rag means you will probably have adhesion problems if silicone or any Vinyl dressing has ever touched the wires. Tape up the connections and hang the wires with a little weight on them. Shoot them with the liquid electrical tape and you have nice black high performance wires!

Several thin coats works best and unless you have silicone wires, or didn't clean them properly, you won't have any adhesion problems no matter how you flex them.

If your wires are silicone, you can still change the color, but only silicone will stick to silicone-meaning it will be a messy and slow process. buying a tube of RTV silicone adhesive caulk works, but you have to roll the wire to get a good finish-it takes several coats, and fortunately, you will get better at the skill involved on each coat. Still it is easier to buy a different color that to change, but if you like Magnacores, but hate the color, what do you do? This!

Will

Not quite correct for a 240Z, but closer than bright blue! (My stock wires have black or dark gray boots, can't remember which.)

Arne,

Is there a source for the correct wire set for a 240Z? I am afraid I haven't researched this adequately, and just assumed that stock plug wires for 240z were NLA anywhere.

Dan

Arne,

Is there a source for the correct wire set for a 240Z? I am afraid I haven't researched this adequately, and just assumed that stock plug wires for 240z were NLA anywhere.

Dan

I'm not aware of any sources, Dan. My car still had its originals when I bought it, otherwise I'd be looking for alternatives too.

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd post an update on this. I finally got to the point that I felt I had to do something about the blue NGK wires. They just weren't the right look for my car. So I did some shopping at a local parts house and picked up a set of "Magstar Gold" wires. They are black with black boots, and other than the color appear to be very similar to the NGKs. Part #12-6416 was the set I got, the fit is decent. Does not have the bent boot for number six. But they are built here in the USA by Wiretec (a division of General Cable) and were quite affordable. Obviously not stock, but not "in-your-face-blue-aftermarket" either.

Edited by Arne

Not for a show car, but kinda cool.

Got the wire from The Hot Rod Company. (link below).

http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/shopnow/show_item.asp?product_id=spw%5Fclear25

Found it when searching for the old school NGK translucent blue spark plug wires.

Made the a set up last weekend. Next time I'll use black plug insulators. They work great, but are not suitible for MSD ignitions.

I'm planning to try different technics to dye the remnants blue like the old NGK wires.

post-15388-14150810647938_thumb.jpg

post-15388-14150810648476_thumb.jpg