IGNORED

Holley fuel pump installation

I just installed a Holley electric fuel pump on my '71, and am having minor second thoughts about where I mounted the thing. (But I don't know how else I could mount one.)

I drilled and tapped two 6mm holes in one of the brackets that holds the trailing end of the rear A arms and mounted the pump there. By the way, that bracket must be made out of spring steel, because it is hard as hammered $%&&!

The instructions that came with the pump specified that it had to be mounted vertically, with the motor above the pump itself. Holley also wanted the pump mounted lower than the tank, but there was no way I was going to leave it hanging down below the suspension.

I also installed the oil pressure safety switch that they recommended. It certainly sounded like a good safety feature to me.

For some reason, on my car the factory wiring harness's positive wire back by the fuel pump didn't have any power, so I powered it off of the +12V side of the ballast resistor. I also added a 7.5 amp fuse as specified in Holley's wiring instructions.

This setup certainly solved my strange engine running issues that I was having before. At 97GPH of fuel flow (65@5 PSI) the pump can certainly supply way more fuel than a naturally aspirated L24 could ever use.

Anyway, do any of our resident Z car experts see a problem with this installation. I tried to deal with all of the likely issues that I could think of up front, but if anyone has other ideas I would love to hear them.

post-3035-14150803642538_thumb.jpg

post-3035-14150803643119_thumb.jpg

I'll be following this thread too Walter. I have the same pump/oil pressure switch and need to install them on my '71 in a couple of weeks to support the L28 install. Need to pick up a fuel pressure regulator and gauge first though.

Question - Is the pump very noisy? I have a couple of sound insulators that I am going to install with it.

Thanks,

Tim

I can hear the pump when the engine is idling or I am cruising slowly through town. My car has one of MSA's 2 1/2 inch sewer pipe sized exhaust systems, and once the engine gets above 2K I pretty much can't hear anything except the engine.

Your car is pretty close to mine in age. Mine was build in April of 71. I installed the 5 speed from a 83ZX in my car over the winter, but I still have the L24 and original differential. With the 3.36:1 diff it is kinda slow off the line, but once it gets moving it seems to move fine.

I installed that see through filter (also from MSA) so that I could check it for dirt by just looking up past the rear wheels. I am a little concerned about the impact resistance of that filter. Yet another reason to avoid gravel roads...

Cool! I know that some pumps are very loud. I hope that the isolators will help!

My L28 is almost ready and the 5 speed is all cleaned up and ready to go. Should install everything in a few weeks. I have the 3:36's too and will leave them in place for a while. I have a 4:11 R180 setup, but that would defeat my plan for better mileage (this was my "justification" for buying the car)... LOL I will save those gears for a rainy day...

I am going to pull the fuel tank out and have it cleaned up at the local radiator shop. That way, I won't have to worry about too much funky junk in the fuel system (initially anyway). I am still not sure what I'll do for a filter yet.

I've got a custom stainless header and will have my exhaust guy build a custom 2 1/2" system as well. Can't wait to start it up with the open header!

Thanks for the info!

Tim