IGNORED

Fuel Pump

CelticGhost007

well finally narrowed it down to where all i need to do is get a new fuel pump. The thing is all i find are electircal fuel pumps and the only mechanical fuel pump i can find is a strange cube looking one. do the not make stock 78 280z fuel pumps anymore or am i just having the hardest luck finding one.

.......The thing is all i find are electircal fuel pumps.......do they not make stock 78 280z fuel pumps anymore or am i just having the hardest luck finding one.
I corrected the word 'they' from 'the' and I don't care for the green text, sorry. Anyway, the stock fuel pump on a 78 is electrical. They're still available and as you've probably discovered, somewhat pricey. This is an area where I would suggest the OEM fuel pump and not the aftermarket one that most of the chain stores sell. And if you think you have problems now, wait 'till you put that Holley on it.

LOL alright thanks. did some more research on my car found out it has a 74 280z engine in it. i dont know the name of it but thats what its got in it and i found afuel pump:)
There is no such thing as a '74 280Z'. Good luck with that. I suggest you do a lot of reading on what is different between the systems on a 75-78 280Z as that was the only years that they were made (USA models).

I recently installed an electric fuel pump made by airtex in my '78 280Z. It was purchased at a local branch of an auto parts store (http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/HomePage.do) for about $120. It did require some minor changes to the wiring at the fuel pump to install. It works fine. The pump is even made in the USA (http://www.airtexproducts.com/). Imagine that!!

Good luck with that! I searched out that fuel pump in your link, the Airtex E8312, and it looks a lot like the Master E8312 that many of the chain store auto parts places sell. From, my experience, and if it's the same fuel pump, I would say since you just recently installed it, give it time. It won't last as long as the OEM pump and it will gradually lose pressure. I've installed one of those on my 810 and two others on other people's cars and they didn't last a year. Looks like it has the same 1 year warranty that Kragen Auto as on it. By complaining loudly and long enough, I was able to get a refund on mine rather than a replacement. Since then, nothing but OEM when it comes to fuel pumps.

Edited by sblake01

We've discussed that fuel pump here in the past. Can't find the thread right now but the opinion I expressed on that pump is the general consensus. Run it for as long as it works but when it starts to die, take it back and get your money and replace it with an OEM pump.

• 3 weeks later...

I put a cheap fuel pump on my 78 280z, and the car ran great!!!!

for about 1 day. I took the pump out and tested it with jumpers and it would not run, so for s&g's I tested the old oem fuel pump and it ran!! still have it my car! (I might consider opening it up and looking for contaminants).

When I first got my s130, it had an aftermarket fuel pump on it, and it worked fine for the first 2 years. It gradually began to whine, at first intermittently then pretty much all the time. Since it had done well for who knows how long, I purchased an Airtex (perhaps the same as you have bought) pump to replace it from the local chain store.

It worked fine for about 8 months before it started whining, then screaming as it ran. You might not have the same experience with yours, it seems to be a hit or miss sort of thing. Use it for now, and start scavenging junk yards for a true replacement.

By the way, the parts store will not honor the 1 year warranty unless you have the protective screen on the input end of the pump; they didn't bother telling me about this part when I bought it, and there is no such part for sale or included with the pump. Bit of a catch 22.