IGNORED

How It Starts - Friends Think You're Crazy!!

TexasRider260Z

I also recommend keeping the windows rolled down, and not locking the doors. This greatly improves your odds of walking away scratch free ;)

Ok, well that's more like it. ;).

I get a little perturbed when I hear folks say stuff like that and they actually believe it. I had a friend killed and two others seriously injured when they were "thrown clear" of their vehicle. The one passenger that managed to stay inside walked away. I work at a place that makes seatbelts among other things. We have a barrier crash test facility on our campus and I've been involved in a fair amount of crash testing. Most people just don't have a good understanding of the magnitude of the forces involved. The Z isn't the best shell you could be contained in but it sure beats non at all.

Steve

I have a buddy who never wore a seat belt, claiming that he would just get thrown clear. Mind you, he is a big, thick skulled German, who had twice, TWICE, been hit by cars while bicycling and gone through the windshield without a helmet. Actually, one time he hit a parked car, and went through the back window. :stupid:

Then he got married, and had a kid. His wife made him start wearing his seat belt because "if you get in a wreak, you'll just be a projectile in the car".

Texas Rider,

I hear you about wanting more performance and hesitating about the reference to having the car stock. My suggestion is to simply buy a suped up engine and swap them. I wouldn't go the bolt on route with that engine as the gains are minimal at best, especially if it has the flat top carbs. I race 240's and know that a simple swap isn't too far fetched. We change engines at the track for pete's sake. Who's Pete? I dunno. Anyway, this idea would not interfere with the future sale of the car and you could always sell your built engine later too. If you like the idea, PM me and I'll set you up with an engine contact.

Greg Ira

Like I have said numerous times, "My wife's V6 Accord may be faster than my 1970 240z, but I have a lot more fun getting there than she does, and I get a lot more 'thumbs-ups' along the way." That being said, I have the original engine in my car, with bigger pistons, a mild cam, and a ported and polished head with a header and better exhaust. This is all in a car that weighs less than yours. Mine is surely much faster than yours, but still slower than most others as well. It's up to you to keep her stock or play with her. If you are looking to play, I recommend the earlier SU's and a header first. Then, a close ratio 5speed set up with a R200 390 rear end. Check the forums here, then try finding the parts, and someone with experience to help you install the drivetrain parts. Done correctly, you will experience a different car! Once you do that, you can perhaps look inside the motor and or head. Have fun with it, and with this site. BTW, I'm in Dallas, where are you?

Welcome back to the Z... It's a sickness!

Hey fellas, I have not gone away. I just was sidetracked onto some other things for a day.

Greg - Yes that certainly is an idea - and a darn good one too. I did breifly visit with Dave at Rebello about his 3 liter when I called to enquire about some cam and header combos. One thing I was trying to do was to make the power lower, not up a 6000. Dave had noted that all these type mods tend to move you up the rev band in the "small" motors. After I re-tuned to what he was talking about we talked about the 3 liter motor for a minute.

In the thread I had over in Engine about 0 to 60 and Highway HP we were talking about a Street Mod car with Carl. But you know how it is. You build up an engine with big power, then you need to be able to transfer that so new clutch, new tranny, new drive system, new wheels and then you have to balance it all out so new suspension and finally you have new brakes to haul you down.

And its not that am against that either. But on another note, you just almost hate to re-do and take everything away from a pretty nice essentially stock car. Although I dont have any qualms about getting rid of those flat tops and running some triple Mikunis into it. I am not showing the car in any concours events. I am just driving it for fun. But I need it to be a little bit more fun. But I would like to have some original car left - I think anyway :)!

I will PM you. Thanks.

Z_K - Yeah you know they are on there. But they are likely the first to go and the triple Mikunis might find their way on. Oh and some other smog stuff might also find its way into a storage box.

A - Down here in Houston town. What you say is the way I outlined over in the Engine forum. A Rebello cam, Rebello headers, triple Mikunis, some exhaust and then all the repalcement items such as dizzy, 65 or 105 alternators, some wires, plugs, wires, etc. And maybe something other than the 5 Watt 8 track Datsun unit that does not work. Oh and not to worry. I am boxing all those parts in storage.

But if I have all down that far it's worth it to have a look into the bottom end. I was trying to keep the lower stock. If I tear into that then check the crank, rods, new rod bolts, and then if it all checks then clean it all up, hone it and put in some new rings, have it all balanced and then bolt up all the new goodies on top.

But did I say I like to get things done rather " quickly " :laugh:. I do want quality but I dont want to have parts lying around for 6 months, a year, more.. Yuck.

Fun for you all..........

I went over to local hot rodder. I say as follows:

Me: " I've got a new Z coming."

Them: "Good we like those cars - best ones. Early one?"

Me: "Yep, and all original."

Them: Smiling big " The best and our speciality. Like about a '68 or something?"

Me: Uhh no - its a '74 Datsun Z.

Them: Huh?

Them with coffee in hand : " Its all the same - just time and money. Which do you have the most of."

Me: Long drink of coffee. " It depends." "The longer I have to wait the faster I have to go."

Them: Spilling coffee now. " How fast do want it."

Me: "Thats a hell of question. I want that little Jap car bastard to breathe fire and roar down the road.

Them: Laughing big. " Fine - but how much time do you have? How much money ...."

Me: " Time ! I ain't got no time. I want to go fast NOW!!!

Everybody around now blowing coffee and howling. " Lets talk ..."

Regards to all.