IGNORED

I need an enclosed carhauler 18 to 20 feet

Carl Beck

Hi Gang:

I'm going to have to buy an Enclosed Carhauler..... I really hate too... as I only need it once or twice a year... Nonetheless, anyone know of an 8.5x18 or 8.5x20 footer that is for sale very slightly used - and somewhere close to Florida? Looking to spend around $4K... as new one's are really inexpensive now...Carl B.

Hello Mr. Carl,

I bought a toy houler a while back, I found this Carson Trailer (sold nation wide) being very reasonable. Please search for Carson Trailer.

Hi David:

Mr. Brock was kind enough to send me pictures of the BRE Car Hauler as it was being designed and developed - but he isn't "kind" enough provide one at anything close to my meager budget. I couldn't afford the shipping from Washington State to Florida!!

At $16,996.00 it's a bit over my budget - - I think Mr. Brock designed his for the Daytona Cobra Coupes... Maybe next year???

It sure is nice however....

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Webdawg1

I bought the same brand/type trailer that cbudvet pointed out - - only I did not buy it on E-Bay. The trailer on e-bay was $3995.00 PLUS $1.45 per mile for delivery.... that would have added at least $396.00 to final price {maybe a couple bucks more}... so $4391. Cash in Advance and wait 5 to 10 days for production and delivery.

The manufacturer also had another dealer, that had placed on-line adds outside of E-Bay with a price of $4095.00 but they offered a Tampa Drop Off Point for $200.00 addition fee. Bringing the final price to $4295.00. Hey, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks...!!

I was calling local dealers to see if any of them could be competitive with the Internet Advertised Prices... The sales person at a Tampa Dealer - said they had a 8.5' x 20' V-Nose coming in next week - and it would be $4695.00. When I ask for the specifics and specifications - it sounded like the list of standard equipment of the trailer on E-Bay, and which I had seen advertised other place on the Internet.

So I ask - what is the manufacturer of that trailer - - answer - Freedom. I told the salesman that they had ad.'s on the internet for that trailer for $4095.00 + $200.00 shipping to Tampa... He answered that they were indeed the drop off point... and after checking, he said that they would sell the trailer they ordered for stock - for the same price. $4295.00 plus tax and tag transfer - {cash/check price no charge cards}.

I'm supposed to pick it up when it comes in next Wed. to Friday. Cheap trailer, but at that price I can use it a few times as needed and resell it without a huge loss... Given how hard it is to find a used trailer, it should be easy to move at $2950.00 used, or I can just keep it for storage...

Now we'll see if it actually arrives in Tampa next week - - - Some of these Trailer Dealers are worse than used car dealers...

That's the story so far....

Carl B.

Given how hard it is to find a used trailer, it should be easy to move at $2950.00 used, or I can just keep it for storage...

Carl B.

Actually $2950 would be a steal. If you have it for 2 years the cost of a new one will be about $4500, so selling yours for $4000 would save someone $500. I can't buy mine used for less than I paid for it new a few years ago...

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys:

First - it seems that a Post that revived this Thread - is now missing. Someone needed a trailer to move a generator - what happened to that?

As Randy said - since the Thread was revived - I thought I'd give a status report.

The Freedom Trailer turned out be a fairly high quality unit. The build quality and materials are above average for the price I paid. I've been very happy with it. Towed it a few thousand miles, easy to load and unload. Tows true and straight, no real issues with cross winds. It is a "V" nose, but I really don't know of that helps or not. I do like the additional room it provides.

$4300.00 plus tax, license and I added a weight distributing, anti-sway {WD/SA} trailer hitch. All in All - I had just under $5K in it. The WD/AS Trailer hitch was about $500.00 including the welding necessary to mount it to the trailer - it was worth the money. Trailer tows nice and level.

I spent a few bucks - on additional tie-downs and Z Track inside. Added a rear view video camera. Now the plastic air vent in the roof needs to be replaced. The sun ate it - it was obviously very cheap plastic.

Now with more experience - I'd rather have a 16.5' to 18' trailer at the most. That is more than enough room for my use, and shorter trailers are easier to back up. LOL It would also be that much less weight to pull/stop.

I'd rather have a much lower profile trailer to reduce wind resistance {drag}. My trailer has just over 6'6" height inside. I wouldn't mind having to stoop a bit inside the trailer - as I'm not actually in it for more than a few minutes during loading/unloading.

I would like to have drip rails along the top - clear down the length of the trailer. When the trailer is parked for prolonged periods - dust/dirt/grim build up on top - then when it rains I wind up with black streaks running down the sides of the trailer. This usually requires polish to get them out.. Washing, Polishing and waxing a trailer is a lot of work and no real fun. So another expense involved - I had to buy a FLEX buffer to make the job a lot less work, not to mention the cost of materials to detail a trailer! Drip Rails along the sides would greatly reduce the grim that stains the paint.

None of these issues however are great enough to encourage me to go spend $10K on a better trailer.

I have bought an open, flat bed, aluminum trailer - it was used, and really a steal. I plan to build a custom designed enclosure on that some day. I view that as money spent on a fun project more so than money spend on a needed trailer..

Bottom line - for the money - I'd recommend this Freedom Trailer to anyone.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Guys:

First - it seems that a Post that revived this Thread - is now missing. Someone needed a trailer to move a generator - what happened to that?

Hi Carl, looks like it was a sneaky ad. We deleted the post, but, it's good to start talking about car haulers again. :)

FYI, car haulers are more than welcome to advertise in our classifieds, just not our forums.

Are you going to post some photos of your trailer?

m