IGNORED

Making a modern power antenna work in an S30

Jehannum

I can see that this kind of wiring works, but you can only have it fully up or down. What if you just want to have the antenna only 1/2 way up, when you drive in the city?

thxZ

I can have it half way, 1/3rd way up, or whatever.

The cutoffs only happen when the antenna reaches the end of its travel - that is, the motor stops running when the antenna gets to full extension and at full retraction ( (regardless of whether you're still holding the button or not).

No non-factory parts required (other than the antenna). This, of course, assumes that your "up/down" switch are working properly. Were I not tearing my 300ZX apart this weekend, I'd do movies or something.

Edited by Jehannum

• 5 weeks later...

Works great! I have added the diode directly on the blue/red solder points on the antennas controller pcb so the original wiring is not touched. Shortened the antenna red/blue cable to 8 inch and crimped on bullet connectors. Everything worked as expected, i can use the original radios antenna up/down switch to control the new power antenna, the antenna can also stopped half ways (if required). Great, thanks :)

• 4 years later...

This is a very old thread but the diode idea also works for a radio shack power antenna model 12-1330A. I pulled the interior panel over the antenna off today and a PO had put in that model of radio shack power antenna. The PO had never connected the power up/down leads to the antenna. With the diode the antenna works fine.