IGNORED

new member hoping for advice TODAY

Ken B.

Edit: The above was only after looking at your first batch of pictures. The ninth picture in the second batch is scary.

agreed and that's what made me request him take it to the bodyshop - this MUST be addressed in the repairs spoken of.

Let me ask a stupid question - for the 7,000 to 8,000 range would it be reasonable to find many in better shape? I simply don't know.

This car with the work spoken of and quoted will total 6K to me.

Let me ask a stupid question - for the 7,000 to 8,000 range would it be reasonable to find many in better shape? I simply don't know.
In your part of the country? Probably not. If you're willing to fly out West, that kind of money (and careful shopping) can buy a 240Z with little to no rust. It'd be a longer drive home, though...

How many have you looked at thusfar? Do you really want a 240z? You can likely find other cars in better shape or worse shape for the money. Now, the odds of you finding a 280z in better shape for less money are much better. I happen to really like the 280z myself. Also, it's a little bit tough for me to value a heavily modified Z at $7000-8000, unless the mods are really well done. But then again, I like them to appear stock from the outside. My preference is mine only. Location factors heavily with these cars. In SoCal, you might pay 5000 for a Z. The same car in the northeast might command 7000-8000. Obviously, it's much easier to find Z's with less rust as you move farther southwest on the map. BTW, check the rear deck bodywork, when you open the hatch, above the tail lights. The others here might want to weigh in on that as well.

Arne, you got your reply in while I was finishing mine... And BTW, my Rotas are on the way. Sould have them next week. Thanks again for your wheel advice. I'll post pics, of course.

-adamr

Edited by adamr

Also depends on what you plan to use the car for, or plan to do to the car. I wouldn't put $6K in a non-matching number 240-Z's, if I ever hoped to refresh it toward saving a Classic Car.

If you want a street mod 240-Z - I still wouldn't pay that much to start with... better to buy a bare shell for $2K and do your own thing, or pay a bit more up front and get a street mod car that is really performance oriented and done.

FWIW

Carl B.

Also depends on what you plan to use the car for, or plan to do to the car. I wouldn't put $6K in a non-matching number 240-Z's, if I ever hoped to refresh it toward saving a Classic Car.

If you want a street mod 240-Z - I still wouldn't pay that much to start with... better to buy a bare shell for $2K and do your own thing, or pay a bit more up front and get a street mod car that is really performance oriented and done.

FWIW

Carl B.

I'm with Carl, but I don't want to wizz on anyones parade.

thanks guys - I just want a toy for the warm weather weekends - nothing more. I like the particular mods on this Z body wise and am not crazed to have her totally stock and also not totally modified - I think the Z was just about perfect looking from the get go.

the rust issues may turn out to be a deal breaker I dunno, I'll try to be very thorough at the body shop. I like the 240/260 and 280 bodies but with the 71 240 there is no emissions inspection in the state of PA previous to 74 thus I can do header and custom exhaust, etc.

My advice would be, stay away from it and go with Arne's suggestion.

Here is the calculation on my purcase of a Zed.

Price of car $1300, it came with the motor taken apart being it had burnt a piston.

Machine shop work, pistons, bearings ect, app $500-600

With the other misc parts the total is in the $2500 area.

Total shipping for 3 cars in a 40ft container to Denmark all include $5800, witch is less than $2000 a car.

Danish registration tax $3200

So from being a car in California to a road worthy and tagged car in Denmark i have paid $7700, i use to say that i have 8k in that car, it has no rust, motor is rebuild interior is good looking except of cracks in the dash, paint is decent and can wait a few years before repaint.

So if you leave out the shipping and our sky high tax you can see it can be done for less of what you are planning on spending on that car and you can combine it with a nice little vacation in Cali.

Chris

Hi gang, BIG THANKS for all the replies and advice but the deed is done now and I own her. Got her for 4K. She's at the resto shop now http://www.kaotickustomsalabama.com/ (this guy's work is beautful) getting the floor areas rebuilt. 2K

Then over to the mechanic http://www.hesco.us/ this place is IMPRESSIVE for new springs and struts.

Had the car inspection done and compression/leakage done. Needs a few things gauge wise. And again the struts and springs replaced - they are original. The engine test confirmed a once FI 280 engine now carburated and that compression was VERY good.

Interior carpet and headliner excellent. Dash needs some attention and seats need replaced.

Anyone know if stock spring strut set up still available? I want a smooth ride not a rigid ride the lowering causes. Also seats - anyone have any suggestion for replacememts that will fit but are better than the original 240Z seats?

Will keep you guys posted - floor rust repair should include photos along the way.

Thanks again.

Edited by Ken B.