IGNORED

Z's on d' brain "HELP"!Electrical gremlins

IBZINYA

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new update to this thread... Im more confused than ever, which means I can now be clasified as "incompetent". I think my problem is in the ( Ignition Interlock Unit). I have replaced and cleaned and replaced and cleaned and on and on... NO LUCK! Anyone own an "Ignition Interlock checker"... Im not kidding, there is actually a component for this in the factory repair manual. I think I will try unpluging the seat switches after INDY and see what happens... wish me luck.

I guess it's time for me to start digging into the FSM for a 260Z and look to see how that is bypassed. Unfortunately, the nanny state had a wonderful idea for the 1974 model year that if people shouldn't be able to start their cars unless the seatbelts were fastened. The apocryphal stories have it that people had to put the seatbelt around the bag of groceries they placed in the passenger seat in order to operate their cars. Somehow, I don't think it would be that difficult to bypass.

Locate the interlock relay on the firewall , connect the black with yellow tracer (ignition switch "S" terminal) to yellow wire to starter solenoid to bypass the interlock unit circuit. Now she,ll be reliable. This is a direct connection from the key switch to the starter solenoid .

Thanks, I'll have to do that some day on my 260Z. I haven't had trouble with it, yet. By the way, how far are you from Milton? I'll have to be up there for almost 3 weeks starting Tuesday. Are there any interesting car-nut events happening in that timeframe?

He is the self proclaimed electrical gennius... forgive me... this post was made after a pint of crown royal ....LOL

This is what happens when your trying really hard to find the cause of your no start condition!!!

Edited by IBZINYA
Drunk

Hey Now. I've NEVER proclaimed myself to be an Electrical Genius. That's what all the other guys usually say. And as always, I tell them NOPE, I'm just a guy that tries my best to figure out what the hell those crazy Japanese were thinking when they designed the electrical harness's in these cars.

And being as how I also have a 260Z, I'd follow what BEEZEE said about bypassing the relay.

And who the hell can focus on anything after a pint of CR??? Not Me.

Dave.

Edited by Zs-ondabrain