IGNORED

Please explain the nomenclature

TDHoward

To an extent, that's true. They weren't too good as delivered. It takes some work and skill to make flat tops work. They've been discussed quite a bit on this site (and others) but not so much lately. Most people don't bother with them these days because of the lack of parts availabiliby and the ease of getting a set of reworked round tops.

The nice thing about the flattops you can buy them for a little more than their scrap value, so get a bunch and your good right?

Tips you will notice some people will talk about what year they have with the month. What they are using is the production date which is a lot more helpful than the model year. Also some of the changes on the early Zs did coincide with the model year. Like the early 71 series I have more in common with the 70 year than the later 71 year for example. OK I'm going to use the word factory now just don't blast me for it because I don't want to see that again. "Factory" options didn't exists in the US version except colors, but dealer "factory" options and aftermarket did (with some odd exception to this).

Be careful how you use factory on this sight we have people that get nasty over the use of that word and they will make you pay, if someone starts to get nasty over that word walk away they don't care what you think. I would not be surprised if the search that word for victims.

Also head numbers can be important, you will hear E-31, E-88, N-42P(might not have that one correct). These heads are factory heads from different years. The E-31 is the oldest and my favorite head and makes great power with a hart shaped combustion chamber. then the E-88 now their is tow versions of the E-88 the early small number (size of the numbers) and the big E-88 with less compression, they have round chambers, and where simpler to produce, the early E-88 is my second favorite. After these heads you start to see some drastic changes for emissions.

Well off to the store

Spitz, I was looking at your signature. I have a buddy who works at subaru and I drive an old rally volvo. Volvo's were whooping up on the subaru's at the time. I gave him my bumper sticker that said "Drive slow and live. Drive a subaru and live forever"LOL

Combi switch is the headlight/wiper switch

Dizzy is the distributor

Remember, the guy says he was into Corvairs (awesome cars btw, my dad had a '65 corsa Turbo). He was just wondering about Z-specific terminology.

Edited by JonnyRock

THANKS GUYS, GOOD INFO!!! Great thread.

Dizzy is widely used in Brit cars too, Like my Spitfire. Now if you want to get into unusal names for things, visit a LBC (little British Car) site! Triumph and MG especially. They've actually had to make a glossary of British to American auto terminology!

Bonnets, Boots and prop you know? (Hood, Trunk and drive shaft)

The Brits didn't use a model year designation either, so I understand the importance of month and year of manufacture when it comes to stock equipment.

Cool to know the info about "Factory Vs. Dealer installed options.

"Hopefully this isn't a ambiguous term: rust"

Nope! THAT term is universal! And I've got plenty of it!

Spitz, I was looking at your signature. I have a buddy who works at subaru and I drive an old rally volvo. Volvo's were whooping up on the subaru's at the time. I gave him my bumper sticker that said "Drive slow and live. Drive a subaru and live forever"

What's even more ironic is I had a WRX STi before this Z hahaha. Sweet bumper sticker though!