IGNORED

Please explain the nomenclature

TDHoward

Aw yes I've been so lucky not to damage those spindle pins, they are easy to damage and not cheap.

On the factory thing back in 2004 I was blasted when I tried to explain what I found out about my first Z on what was one of my earliest posts. I was explaining the engine was replaced by the factory . . . well I was blasted because I used factory as a general term for Nissan Motor Company. I pulled my post and didn't post for almost a year and then only once or twice very sparingly and ushally a day or two after I read the post I wanted to reply to. Till about 08 when Zcar.com changed their website layout.

One I never noticed but which Carl Beck pointed out on the CTZCC.com site was, of all things, a vinyl roof application!!

We've discussed vinyl roofs before on this site too Rick http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33140.

Alan, were the UK or Australian market 240Zs available with factory installed options (other than automatics or paint color)? How about the front and rear spoilers, were they optional or standard in those markets?

-Mike

Alan, were the UK or Australian market 240Zs available with factory installed options (other than automatics or paint color)? How about the front and rear spoilers, were they optional or standard in those markets?

Hi Mike,

I'm wary of generalising about the Australian and NZ markets, as it seems like the situations and specs there were even more 'rubbery' than elsewhere. I know what I see in the R-Drive parts lists, but - as we know - there were always exceptions and anomalies. Maybe somebody from those territories might like to comment?

As far as the UK market was concerned, I think the situation was that the dealers usually made what little choice was available from the concessionaires, and the customers simply chose the car they liked 'as is' from the showroom floor or asked for a particular colour to be sent from Japan ( which would have taken a long time ).

As far as factory-fitted 'options' were concerned, I believe Datsun UK Concessionaires actively discouraged most of the dealers from dabbling in complicated orders. The family of one of my good friends here were one of the original UK Datsun dealers, and I'm told they were aware of certain options but had trouble getting exactly what they wanted.

I believe the standard UK market spec cars were seen as being a good package for the period anyway. Standard spec included the 5-speed transmissions and 3.9:1 diff ratio, and they had the 'firm' springing, damping and ARBs. They came with the clock, radio, electric antenna, heated rear window and carpets, and the front and rear spoilers were also stock. This was seen as a pretty good specification in comparison to British or European models of the time. Many buyers would have wanted to change the wheels, but there was a big choice of aftermarket wheels available here anyway. This was something the buyers could do themselves, rather than pay the dealer to do.....

So, generally speaking, little or no true 'Factory Options' for the UK market cars....

Alan T.