IGNORED

Collectors Alert - could be worth checking out

moonpup

Does that 19500 seem just too perfectly centered? Maybe I am stirring things up, but something about seems too dead center.

Interesting observation - almost too perfect. The ad does say, "19,500 original miles fully documented original everything", however. I'm sure there's a great story behind the car - like why it racked up only 19,500 miles in five years before being stored and why the owner isn't posting the ad instead of a "buddy".

It's also interesting that the number of miles on the odometer and the asking price are exactly the same - 19,500.

Using that pricing model, my 1971 one owner 240Z is now for sale for $112,654 ;)

Dennis

Funny... I know of another 72 Z with an original 19K+ miles.

{I'll paraphrase the story...it's mostly correct but not exact years etc}

A man bought the car in 72 and drove it for a couple years, then parked it in the garage and used another car as his daily driver. Some 10 years later, he passed away, the car had 19K+ original miles.

His wife put the Z outside in California, with a car cover on it, so she could get her car in the garage.. and it sat there for about 30 years. The car cover rotted and fell off.. and it sat there. The lady passed away and her relatives cleaned the house out, sold the car and sold the house...

Through a friend of a friend kind of deal - the present owner bought the car, trailer'ed it to his storage facility with the intention of some day restoring it. It sat there for a couple of years.. His buddies at the storage facility cleaned the carb's out, drained the gas tank and put fresh gas in, drained the oil/water and replaced with fresh liquids.. and got it running..

He then changed the clutch master and slave and got it to the point that it can be moved under it's own power... but no brakes {rear wheel cylinders had froze.. so they were freed, but not repaired.. no brakes at this point - but can be stopped with the E-brake}

Paint is SHOT... Dash is cracked.. and of course everything rubber in the car would need to be replaced. Most likely the carpet is dry rotted as well. The rest of the interior is in good shape.. the paint under the hood, in the door jambs and interior is in good shape...

The body is straight, no rust with only a couple small door dings.. the car sits with the same wire-basket wheels that it came from the dealership with.. Silver, 4spd.

One the one hand - with a little sweat equity and maybe $10K for paint/body {repaint the top surfaces} and mechanical parts..this might be a very decent car. {I say "might" because we really don't know if that engine was properly taken out of its 30 year sleep}.

On the other hand - it would be a good car for a complete and proper Restoration.. In that case figure something closer to at least $20K plus the price of the car..

The car is located in California, you'll have to bring a trailer ... what is your best cash offer?

Carl, I met the owner of this car (mr. W) and saw it over the weekend. He trailered it out to the track were we were racing.

Since I am not in the market for the car, I did not give it any more than a cursory glance. I will say the car is all there. I did not look at or for rust related issues.

The car needs restoration, and would be a good value depending on asking price.

The owner does travel back east often and probably could transport it to the east coast.

R

Hi Ron:

Yes - he said he had talked to you and you sent him to me. We talked for about 1/2 hour - a real "car guy" and it was great meeting him. I told him to send detail pictures - and I'd be glad to pass the infor along to anyone interested.

It is interesting to contrast that car with the one that originated this thread... the one kept in the garage is sure in a lot better shape.. but still not worth anything close to the asking price.. as it sit now..