IGNORED

need some input

Oregon260z

Don't limit your options just because you want to use the existing holes. It's not too hard to relocate the holes. It would be more appealing to me if the exhaust holes were located a bit more to center than that. But that's just me.

Two members come to mind, that have or are in the process of running dual pipes and are sure to chime in with their advise. Madkaw & Zsondabrain both have devoted a lot of time doing this and have it figured out.

I have not thought of center, the outer does kind of remind me of my 66 mustang the pipes came out in rear valance to the outside... I dont want my Z by any means to look like a mustang rearend LOL. If Iam gonna remove and replace the rear valance I guess it would be a clean slate for any configuration I choose.

In my experience, nothing will attract more good comments than dual exhaust on a car that everyone knows didn't come with dual exhaust.

I drove a graymarket '81 BMW 323i for more than 5 years. Imagine a 320i but with tidy, small chrome bumpers and a small inline six. It had staggered BBS rims, lowered Alpina suspension, the lighting was obviously non-US-spec, and the only thing most people could talk about was the dual exhaust. Which was actually factory, in this case. But compared to a 320i, that was what they noticed, not the bumpers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35050&stc=1&d=1268799316

post-8596-14150810312532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arne

I guess the way I look at a vehicles at car shows and in pictures is...first I notice the overall stance. Is it saying muscle car? Is it saying sleek? Then I look at the front end. It has to match what the stance is saying for the car to be in balance. Then I look at small details that also estetically enhances the message the car is giving. If a car has all of these details in balance, that is what catches my eye.

And since I am running a bumperless front end I need to do the same in the back which leaves it too weak so I have to do something to dress it up.

Here are 2 concepts I photoshoped not the best but oh well

Feel free to show me your concepts if you wish.

this one is ok

260zroundssmall.jpg

this one is poopie concept

260zwidesmall.jpg

*The picture is not mine got off car domain *

Edited by Oregon260z

No, I just missed that you added pictures later last night. In large, I agree with your assessment. I like the idea of using the bumper mount holes for round exhaust tips. Not so hot on the second example.

I agree with Arne, definately the outbound round in the first picture, although, I personally like the double stack on the left. To me, it just looks more sporty and more period correct and still not just like the next guys. There is a post on the board here somewhere where someone found a dual inlet dual outlet that was stacked and fit pretty well. It is all a matter of preference, but I'd be hard pressed to go to the effort to put in dual exhaust at the expense of installing a fuel cell to do it.

Arne, I have been thinking and mocking up all day and I think shock holes looks the best so far. I am contemplating removing the tire well and re welding it flush metal for more room but just a thought so far. Today I ordered new front Kaminari air dam,fender flares, Bre rear sproiler, clear headlight covers so its a start.

IdahoKidd,

thanks for the input but really a fuel cell isnt very exspensive unless you go custom tire well then it adds up.

Ztrain, that inside looks awsome I love the cage and cell looks sweet

Edited by Oregon260z

At least in my vocabulary, a fuel cell is an "aftermarket" gas tank relocated to a different part of the car. Someone said it was safer, but I doubt that. There is a lot of engineering that goes into location, venting, routing of fuel lines, etc. Perhaps more practical in some applications, and not legal everywhere for highway use.

Oregon, if you are simply just bolting it into the hatch and not doing any working over of the spare tire well, it probably is easier. But you give up the hatch and have the tank inside the cabin of the car. A poor and unacceptable trade in my book for a driver. A race car is a different story.