IGNORED

Door wont lock

Reverend

• 2 weeks later...

Still no improvement on pass side door. More problems in drivers side. I noticed that the pushrod (that connects lock cylinder to the rest) is not in the right place. Should that lever be in that hole? I tried to move it back to place but failed..

post-20168-14150810580353_thumb.jpg

I have a similar problem. I can push the rod down once my doors are closed (windows down of course) and I can use the key to open the doors but can't use it to lock the doors. I removed both door lock boxes and notice that some of the plastic around some of the points were worn or missing. Later this year I will pull the door apart to change them out and install power locks.

Be sure to check that your plastic joints are not worn....this is the area that your hooks go into. Like stated, easier to just get a "newer" set. GL

Something to try... Did you remove / reinstall the assembly? If so, here's what fixed the same problem for me.

I found that the position of the interior door latch, (that handle that opens the door), can affect the operation of the door locks. If you loosen the screws holding this assembly, (inside botoom of door), it's position can be adjusted. If the assembly is too far forward, on the attached rod can't move back far enough and prevents the door lock from operating.

When I moved my latch handle assembly back about 5/16", everything worked fine.

Well, I bought the tubing, so I could do E's fix. However, before that I decided to try something that Roger Schmidt from ZBarn suggested to me. I took out the passenger side mechanism and cleaned it with brake cleaner. I used brake cleaner because it is pressurized in the can, and it evaporates quickly. After getting rid of the grease and grime from 30+ years, I sprayed all moving parts with white grease, again from a pressurized can. (Note - Don't use WD-40 for this. It's NOT a lubricant.) I re-installed, and it closes great. I can get it to close with a gentle push instead of a slam. It might be something you can try.

I got that lever on place on drivers side door. Well after that i discovered next problem. This part (on pic) is worn out and it wont move pushrod enough to lock the door from outside.

Also, im afraid to take out the passenger side window for lock removal, it fits so good now :cry:

post-20168-14150810594175_thumb.jpg

That piece does not look worn.

Are you sure it isn't the end of the lock cylinder that it attaches to that is the worn item?

The lock cylinder metal is a "pot" metal and not as strong as the stamped steel piece in your picture, and it's more commonly the one that gets worn down.

FWIW

E