IGNORED

For those who have spent serious money in rebuilding their Z

The zeds without power steering and with the fatter tyres we fit ,can be tiring to drive for extended periods especially on twisty roads , or in city driving,if you are used to cars with PS..Slow speed manouvering can be a dog.

That's one thing I've never had a problem with. My 280Z has 225/50R16 max performance summer tires and the steering is light, even at low speeds. On the highway, it feels better than most new vehicles I've driven. The only time it gets heavy is on long corners near the limit.

My 260Z LeMons car has 195/60R14 tires and the steering is very light even on a track. I'm guessing this is because the tires are narrower and that I moved the LCA inner pivots up and out to fix bumpsteer and gain negative camber.

• 9 months later...

Super late thread revival, I just keep coming back to the Z, there's no denying its strong influence over me. I have some time, and would like to reply to everyone's thoughtful input.. it was nice to read them again since its been a while since ive been here

The zeds without power steering and with the fatter tyres we fit ,can be tiring to drive for extended periods especially on twisty roads , or in city driving,if you are used to cars with PS..Slow speed manouvering can be a dog.

This doesnt bother me and i miss no power steering and the effortless wheel movement of modern cars is uninspiring.. good point though

Understand that you will never recover your investment, know that you are doing this for yourself and know that this is always going to be a 30+ year old car.

This would never be an investment for profit. It would be an ultimate hot rod that would put a smile face everytime i started it, and driving it would take my breath away.

but you can't make the entire driving experience similar to a modern car

it would be a shame for a classic z to drive like a modern car

None of us can tell you if you are going to be happy with this, and it sounds like you are not easily impressed.

unfortunatly my friend, you have hit the nail on the head. i am extremely fickle.. and it takes much to impress me ( with regard to my own happiness and expectations from things i own ) which btw is a huge curse as it is hard for me to be happy with personal purchases. I see the things that i dont like or i am unhappy with first. I am not a pompass person towards others or their possessions. This is why I came here looking for input from others, and why the budget is starting where it is. This is also why the compairsons to the gtr where there. At the end i am sure the amount spent on the z to make it just so for me would rival the cost of a used gtr or porsche but they do little for me.

Do I like driving around in a $85K car that feels like a car from the 1970s?

This would be hard to swallow, especially if the end result is not satisfactory, and it would not be resell-able. BUT if it is satisfactory, and just makes me little kid waking up for christmas giddy everytime i see it and drive it, then itd be worth it.

The money does not (or should not) matter.

I make a very modest income, but when it comes to things i want, the money aspect is easily the last on the list. I dont live to pinch penny's, i live to enjoy the penny's ive earned.

You comparisons with the GTR and S2000 leads me to believe that you won't be satisfied with a 240Z to justify spending the money

This is what i am struggling with.

Only you can decide if its worth it and if you are happy with the end result..... I know it would take a very talented , expierienced or wealthy person to put together something like this in the same time frame or less.... Get a pad of paper and divide it into + and - columns and list the positives and negatives of the project. Determine a monetary limit your willing to spend and dont forget to use a completion deadline.

..... it will come down to how bad you really want this car and whether you have more time or money.

I searched as much as i could about the car and it was a beautiful project. I am not looking to set a land speed record to complete the project. your post was insightful and congrats on aquiring a decent shell. They are hard to come by. There would be no monkey business with what someone else started/didnt complete, this would a completely redone car from top to bottom.. albiet even if done in sections. The project and journey aspect is i think what draws me to a z more than any other aspect. Purchasing a car to drive leaves so much more to be desired, even if it is a supercar, imo. I believe the z is the only car that i could ever invest so much of my personal time and money in.. at a loss.

When I'm done with this one, I'll be in it for about $13K to $15K And that includes New wheels, tires, complete tear down and rebuild of every part, replacement of what needs replacing, Paint, custom interior, seats, motor refurb, struts and springs, urethane everything, etc, etc.

Your car is very nice, and a good representation of what can be done with a good budget. Congrats!

You ought to take a read through this thread:

Thanks for the link.. this is further than i want to go, but gives a great representation of where i would want to go in certain areas.

I enjoy every minute of having and driving the car. I don't see the money as an investment, I see it as a hobby. People spend fortunes on Golf and Skiing. I go out to the garage and take my car apart and put it back together again. This isn't my daily driver, so I have a different perspective.

This is a similar view of how i would feel about my project. Having it as a weekend car would relieve alot of pressure about timelines and make tinkering much more enjoyable.(Tinkering is like relaxation therapy for me) I just finished my 08 sti and at the end it became very stressful, as it was a daily driver, and my wife's car. Tinkering on it was not in her plans either although she was respectful.

Interestingly, I'm not totally sure the people on this board would consider your modification "doing it right".

True, and to each his own. I would intend on keeping the very spirit of the z alive and well, just modernizing alot of its outdated technology (pretty much just electrical, engine, trans, suspension, diff, brakes, and seats). I wont go further, as i dont want to alienate anyone, but trust me the last thing that will go in my car would be a v8 of anykind.

40K? Unless the customization takes on a hobby status for you, in my opinion it's too much to spend. You could get a Z in amazing condition for 20-25k.

I wouldnt purchase a complete car. I want a shell (id buy a complete car for a shell though, but the car would be in rough shape). I want to build the whole car from the ground up, as that is the whole reason to do a z (for me).

Thank you for all of your replies, and kind input, as it has been extremely insightful. Sorry for the long delay in replying, ive read everyones post and reseached builds and everything is helpful.

Happy Holidays everyone.

If driving a car that has a definitive shape, whether that be a Porsche, Mini, or a '66 Mustang, isn't enough then it's time for a 2009 M3.

I assume you have taken the time to drive other Zs which have been modified in a manner you are considering. If not than you are wasting everyone's time asking them subjective questions.

Would it less tiring to drive 15 hrs straight in an M3 rather than my lowered, cambered, 300 lb spring, and 320hp NA (no lag throttle response) engine? Most likely. Would it be as much fun to look over the hood as the M3? Not hardly.

Good luck in your search....