IGNORED

What to do? Series 1 240Z too far gone?

Zealous

What should I do with the car?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do with the car?

• Scrap it
    • Sell it to private buyer
    • Sell it to a local shop, if they will take it?
    • Part it out and then scrap

When I parted out a rusty Series 1 a couple of years ago, I made just over $3000, and I probably left money on the table from taking shortcuts and pricing things aggressively for quick sale. So this car could probably raise the same or more if parted out.

But assuming you don't have the time, space or inclination to part it, I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to sell for $2000 or more as is, even with you being totally up front about the car's needs.

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking. My policy is to be totally up front as it avoids disappointment and frustration down the road and is the right thing to do.

If anyone is interested in it PM me. Probably better if I just add it to the classifieds too.

You might consider putting it on eBay. Cars always go for more there than they're really worth. Just beware of the Nigerian guy who wants to set up a bank account with your name on it for payment. ;)

JC,

I agree with Arne, if it were more local to me as well I would be very tempted. Not sure what the fiance would say, but she is very tolerant of my current 240Z. BTW I went to high school at Gunn Sr High in Palo Alto and grew up in the Bay Area.

Eric

The real question is how "twisted" is the frame?

Does it track straight, or chronically pull to one side? If you measure the distance from the front wheels to the back wheels do the measurements match from side to side and diagonally across the car?

If you say it is twisted I will have to take your word for it. The pictures you posted do not look particularly unusual for a 40 year old car, but then I don't know how you would show a frame twist or bend in a photograph anyway.

One thing that I will say, is that in our post "Cash for Clunkers" world of today, ANY car that will reliably start, move under it's own power and stop properly is worth more than it was just a couple of years ago. IF the car is safe to drive, has good brakes and tires, and the frame isn't bent to the point where the handling is compromised or the tires wear unevenly, it is probably worth $3000, regardless of the make or model.

(Go try to find a usable "beater", they just don't exist any more.)

Thanks Walter and others for the replies,

I am not sure to what level the chassis is twisted. 'Twisted' might be an over exaggeration. There is definitely previous front end damage that was repaired poorly. However, the car does not pull in any direction. There is a slight lean to the drivers side when sitting and looking at it front on. But I suspect this is more due to the shocks than the chassis.

I was told there was a tweak in the chassis when I had it checked out. But I will need to take it to a professional shop to determine the exact level of the chassis tweak.

The basics is there has obviously been an accident in the front end that would need to be fixed prior to investing in a resto mod. Unfortunately, I no longer have the time or money to invest in this project.

I think I have decided to sell the car but I am being fully open in the fact that it is not a 'cherry' of a car but with enough money or skill could be salvaged and I do not want to see it end up at the scrap yard.