IGNORED

Happy anniversary!!!

jfa.series1

40 years ago today I purchased my car. Gee - seems like just yesterday, NOT! Too many miles on this body to feel like a 29 year old again.

Although it did not start out to be a "forever" car, the memory of turning loose a beautiful '66 Mustang 2+2 way too soon has always been in my mind and I vowed to not repeat that mistake. Of course, if I had kept the Mustang, I probably would never have had the Z. Maybe things work out for the best!

The car is getting a full restoration and just recently returned from the paint shop (that's the painter in the pic). Reassembly is underway, on the road again by summer is the goal.

Jim

post-22303-14150814324194_thumb.jpg

post-22303-14150814325091_thumb.jpg

Edited by jfa.series1

Happy Anniversary Jim! The Z looks GREAT. Ready for another 40 years. Take care of yourself and you could still be driving it then! Lots of people here in Florida are still driving at 101 years of age.

regards,

Carl B.

Thanks for the comments.

On the paint question, the products used are all Matrix brand. I have a note in to the painter for additional details but he has not yet got back to me. Here is what I have so far.

Just prior to painting, the car was sprayed with a sealer, product unknown. The primer is MP3 catalyst primer. The color coat is Matrix base coat, topped off by MS42 clearcoat. There are two coats of color, hand sanded between coats, also two coats of clear. The finish was color sanded, then buffed with three levels of progressively finer product, topped by a polish. I don't know what process or program was used to determine the color mix - one of the questions I have in.

As to time on the project, technically it is 12 years. But... there is a significant time break I will explain. I disassembled the car in 1999, fully expecting to stay with it to completion. "Life" intervened just after the car was apart and I did not get back to it until early 2009 after I retired. The saving grace when I resumed was the care I took during the teardown. Every screw, bolt, small part, ...etc. was bagged and tagged right as it came off the car. Several bags have only one screw and its washers with a paper tag inside. Every electrical connection was marked with a string tag prior to being unplugged. As I identified a part for replacement, I immediately logged it into a spreadsheet. As I rehabbed items, I also logged replacement needs. Later when it came time to shop, I was able to set up columns of price comparisons by vendor next to each item needed.

Here is a picture from yesterday, it show two of my personalizations for the car: the rear finisher in satin black, and the rear bumper - fully slicked, and finished in body color. The front bumper is likewise finished, it and the grill - also satin black, won't go back on until after the engine goes in.

I try to keep a few progress shots updated in "My Garage".

Jim

post-22303-1415081439094_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...