IGNORED

195/60/15 vs 205/55/15

Zedyone_kenobi

Getting the Z ready for the rally means Summer tires. Period. Determined not to go 16" rims when I have two sets of 15" rims, means I had to stay within a narrow size band.

With the stock body work I was limited to 195/60/15's. When I ran 205/60/15's I had rubbing on the drivers side when I turned the wheel. This is common. So wanting a wider footprint and not wanting to run super short tires, I decided to look for 205/55/15's. The problem is, there is not much on the performance side in this side, but the following two tires...

The dunlop Direzza

And the Yokohama S drive

I am a fan of both of these brands, and I know many of my friends who use the Direzza with great success while autocrossing. However they get loud quickly. I did what any of us would do, and went to tire rack to compare the two. The S drives seem to get better ratings, but just barely. So I went with them, as they seem to have more grip and they are quieter. Sold.

To compare sizes, this is how the two sizes stack up on a 15x7 rim.

7853775274_06eb32118f_b.jpg

7853774970_fafa95f5ac_b.jpg

7853775614_ac320240df_b.jpg

I will get pictures outside tomorrow if it is not raining. :paranoid:

Just an edit, in the pictures above, the tire on the left in each picture is not the direzza, but the Pole Position A960, which is a very good ultra high performance All season tire. I would recommend it to anybody looking for a good all around affordable tire with good performance characteristics. But immediately the feel of the summer tire is superior. Better grip and my but tell me the sidewalls seem to absorb bumps better.