IGNORED

New Source for S30 Aluminum Brake Drums

240zdave

I just ordered a pair yesterday from Dean at Datsunparts dot com. He is asking $130/each, or $230/pair. He just got his first shipment of 15 pairs. Datsunparts mostly caters to Datsun Roadsters, but he has other parts as well, and apparently specializes in remanufacturing NLA Datsun parts. I will let everyone know about look and fitment after I receive them. Here's the link to his website:

Datsunparts.com Partnumber 2550 Datsun Z Car 70 - 78 & 510 68 - 73 Rear Aluminun Finned Brake Drum

Be aware that he only takes orders by phone or e-mail, no shopping cart.

The alu inum drums are supposed to deform when braking, most likely in racing conditions.

Drum deformation under braking. Seriously? Where do you come up with this stuff?

FWIW, iron drums degrade performance in almost every sense: not only are they heavier but they're worse at dissipating heat than their aluminum counterparts.

Edited by LeonV

I'd prefer keeping my aluminum drums, but at some point tey are going to wear-out. Hopefully at that point they can still be resurfaced or re-lined.

There is one thing that might make the iron drums better - availability! :)

Books are nice. Actual race track experience is a tad better.

Just a tad... LOL

I'd prefer keeping my aluminum drums, but at some point tey are going to wear-out. Hopefully at that point they can still be resurfaced or re-lined.

There is one thing that might make the iron drums better - availability! :)

I'll give you availability and price! Those are the only two upsides to the iron drums.

The alu inum drums are supposed to deform when braking, most likely in racing conditions.

Absolutely not true... I will give you that the braking system was the most underdesigned system on the early cars but any problems with it manifested in fade at the front.