IGNORED

Wire Identification Help

wilson_wwsc

Hi, I'm rewiring my car for a Chevy v8 swap. I've got a lot of it figured out, but need some help. The car is a 1973 car and I think it used to be manual.

This first picture is of the main harness below the battery at the firewall:

post-20709-14150825571266_thumb.jpg

The red arrow is pointing to a solid yellow wire that goes to the voltage regulator plug. It is spliced together with another yellow wire at the plug. I am removing the voltage regulator. This yellow wire comes out of the firewall along with the black/yellow wire which goes to the starter. The two wires are sheathed together.

The green arrow points to 4 wires. Two are red/black and two are green all with bullet connectors. These were not hooked up to anything and I don't know what they do and maybe they are extra wires in the harness. They branch off from the main bundle of wires.

The orange arrow points to a yellow/black wire. Don't know what it does.

I've done my best with looking at various wiring diagrams, including the FSM.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Way off topic but the photo of your car shows what looks like a carbon fiber bumper - but MSA told me the ones they have don't fit on the 73's. Or did you just paint the steel one? Also wondering how the overrider bar is connected if the bumper is CF.

Way off topic but the photo of your car shows what looks like a carbon fiber bumper - but MSA told me the ones they have don't fit on the 73's. Or did you just paint the steel one? Also wondering how the overrider bar is connected if the bumper is CF.

It's not cf or fiberglass. Its just a painted steel bumper. I prepped it really well and painted with satin Rustoleum. In fact, the whole car is rustoleum.

Hi, I'm rewiring my car for a Chevy v8 swap. I've got a lot of it figured out, but need some help. The car is a 1973 car and I think it used to be manual.

This first picture is of the main harness below the battery at the firewall:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65899[/ATTACH]

The red arrow is pointing to a solid yellow wire that goes to the voltage regulator plug. It is spliced together with another yellow wire at the plug. I am removing the voltage regulator. This yellow wire comes out of the firewall along with the black/yellow wire which goes to the starter. The two wires are sheathed together.

I'm thinking that B/Y goes to the ignition switch for the start position. There's a Y wire (71 schematic) from the voltage regulator to the alternator, but why it run to the other side of the firewall is beyond me.

The green arrow points to 4 wires. Two are red/black and two are green all with bullet connectors. These were not hooked up to anything and I don't know what they do and maybe they are extra wires in the harness. They branch off from the main bundle of wires.

By "not hooked up to anything" do you mean at either end or only at a known end? If the former, did everything electrical work prior to disassembly? If so, then I wouldn't worry about them. Otherwise, <shrug>.

The orange arrow points to a yellow/black wire. Don't know what it does.

Sorry, can't help you on this one either. Seems like a heck of a lot of yellow coded wires, doesn't seem that common in mine.

You said something about it "used to be a manual?" So, I'm assuming it is presently an automatic? Maybe whoever did the swap used yellow wire for swap.

Good luck! I'm doing a little wire mining myself this weekend.

Chris

I say it used to be manual because it has the 4 pin throttle opener relay instead of the 6 pin seat belt interlock relay. The car has an automatic v8 swap from the previous owner and now I'm just rebuilding/updating. Both the solid yellow and Y/B wire appear original to the car so I don't think it was a wire added for the swap. I'm thinking that the two R/B and two G wires are for switches/relays associated with an automatic z.

What is the build date (should be on the VIN plate on the door jamb) and first 6 digits on the VIN? I cannot find a YB on the 73 wiring diagram. The yellow wire that comes off the link between the alternator and voltage regulator suggests that the car is a 260Z.

What is the build date (should be on the VIN plate on the door jamb) and first 6 digits on the VIN? I cannot find a YB on the 73 wiring diagram. The yellow wire that comes off the link between the alternator and voltage regulator suggests that the car is a 260Z.

build date is 1/73. Vin is 145574. It's possible that the wiring harness comes from a 260z, but I doubt that the guy who did the swap used anther harness. The v8 swap was done a long time ago. There is a BAR sticker on the door jamb identifying the Chevy 327 in the car.

The reason I ask about the harness is you can get a good updated harness the works well for the Chevy V8 even ones that use a box in the engine bay and you run the wires into one box.

Do you know where these harness are available?

I don't think I'll have too much trouble modifying my harness. The car ran fine before except that the rear left turn signal went out then the rear right turn signal failed. Just want to figure out what these wires do if possible.

Edited by wilson_wwsc