IGNORED

just bought my self a 73 Z having a few issues

spiffy240z

i just brought home a 1973 240z. i was parked outside for about 1 year. i got it to start and it runs good. now starts as soon as you turn the key. though im having some issues with a few things. the glove box is locked and i didnt get the key for it. the hatch lock wont unlock.(i broke my spare key trying to unlock it) so i need guidance opening those and making the brakes stronger.(barely any stopping power) i would like to take out the emissions control crap if i can. the dash lights do not light up.

thank you in advance

Well, if you can crawl into the hatch, remove the trim panel. That should give you access to the hatch lock. It unlocks by pushing the button. When you turn the key, the cylinder turns, and a tab aligns with a button/lever that operates the latch. Maybe you can reverse engineer it with that description. Then remove the thing, take it to a locksmith, and have it re-keyed.

Just a guess: Maybe the hatch key is the same as the glove box key. So if a locksmith can "read" the code in the hatch lock, he can cut a key that would open the glove box (and then re-key the glove box).

Stronger brakes: Rebuild! Brakes are usually weak because of rusted, frozen parts, air/moisture in the lines, etc. You should take it all apart, and rebuild it.

Dash lights: Try cleaning the dimmer rheostat, or at least working the knob back and forth, back and forth.

I recently lost my dash lights, but brought them back to life plus brighter park and head lights. http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/ZTech/Rebuild_240Z_combo_switch.pdf

But hopefully your dimmer knob will do the trick as Fastwoman says. It's on the right side of your steering wheel. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/electrical-s30/24526-dimmer-switch-location-73-240z.html

Edited by siteunseen

Well, if you can crawl into the hatch, remove the trim panel. That should give you access to the hatch lock. It unlocks by pushing the button. When you turn the key, the cylinder turns, and a tab aligns with a button/lever that operates the latch. Maybe you can reverse engineer it with that description. Then remove the thing, take it to a locksmith, and have it re-keyed.

Just a guess: Maybe the hatch key is the same as the glove box key. So if a locksmith can "read" the code in the hatch lock, he can cut a key that would open the glove box (and then re-key the glove box).

Stronger brakes: Rebuild! Brakes are usually weak because of rusted, frozen parts, air/moisture in the lines, etc. You should take it all apart, and rebuild it.

the hatch key is the same key for doors and ignition. i watched the previous owner unlock and re-lock the hatch with my key. im going to try to open it from the inside. where do i place the jack under the car? when rebuilding brakes is it best to do it one at a time?

I recently lost my dash lights, but brought them back to life plus brighter park and head lights. http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/ZTech/Rebuild_240Z_combo_switch.pdf

But hopefully your dimmer knob will do the trick as Fastwoman says. It's on the right side of your steering wheel. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/electrical-s30/24526-dimmer-switch-location-73-240z.html

i tried the dimmer knob and it did not work. how the i get to the switch in the pdf link?

Edited by spiffy240z

I've found that a hook-shaped pick does the job for the door handle retainer. It's on the splined shaft, you can see it if you try. You can get something like these almost anywhere.

The screws for the door handle are deep in the holes on the bottom of the arm rest, plus one under the chrome piece at the top front, which pops off. Big head, about a #3 screwdriver.

post-20342-14150826943941_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zed Head

OK I have had all these problems

Locks

Well the good thing about the locks that did not unlock is they are probably in good shape and the others are worn out and need to be rebuild. I recommend pulling all the locks after finding a locksmith with the kit to rebuild your lock. On the side of the lock (except the glove-box) will have a number on the side of the cylinder, a locksmith can enter that number and make a key that matches that number and I bet that key will unlock the locks. I'd still bring all the locks in, they can clean them up and make them just like new for not a lot of money (I thought it was cheap). This also includes the ignition, and when they are done you don't haft to check the floor for the key :)

Dash Lights

I found with my first Z was most of the bulbs were louse or bunt out so I just went through and replaced them and check the connections. Also it might not be a bad idea to replace all the fuses after a while they tend to brake down and cause problems.

Emissions

That's not hard to do just follow the parts hooked to the smog pump, and block the holes on the exhaust and intake manifold. If your getting rid of the emission parts let me know I could use a good smog pump and one of the hoses.

Brakes

Check the booster they are getting quite old and when they leak things don't work well the rest you can rebuild at home and would recommend doing that, because no brakes is no fun.

Door Panel Removal

The handle has two screws in the holes to remove and the window crank has a clip you pull and then the parts slide off a spline shaft.

Good luck and welcome to the Z car world.