IGNORED

What should be best?

shamrockO'Bolger

Just graduated from high school in June. Took my graduation money and some money that i had saved up and found a '72 240z in Modesto. Ran a little rough, made some calls, determined that it was either timing issues or the carburetors. Fixed those issues before, especially with carburetors on motorcycles. Anyways, right when i began to head up the freeway towards my home, it started to constantly overheat. Had it towed. Solved the overheating issue and the timing. Ran a little bit better everyday that i had it this summer. Ended up doing a pressure test on the cylinders, Major power issues with it driving. Cylinders 2-3 had no pressure at all. (0-20) compared to 195-200. Took the head off, my hunch was correct, blown head gasket. The guy before me ran it with a blown head gasket for so long that the piston in cyl. No. 2 has holes in it and the cylinder wall is going to need boring out. Took it to a shop that rebuilds engines. Quoted me $1,600. Another shop quoted me $1,300. Generally for a rebuild, not that much, but i just started college and i got a new job twenty miles away. Should i hold on to my Z and make it into a project while i save up money for another car? or should i get rid of it? It would hurt so much to get rid of her. Overall, the car is still solid, mostly surface rust. Thanks everyone!

These engines are pretty durable when well-maintained. Here's one in your area. Wouldn't be surprised if it was fine inside if it was stored correctly. Some oil, a battery and a starter might tell something.

Datsun 240Z Engine Complete

An L28 would accept the L24 parts but you'd probably have to retune the carbs. 17% more displacement will add some power though. The EFI system is pretty easy to swap over also if you wanted make the switch.

DATSUN STRONG RUNNING COMPLETE L28 MOTOR