280Zx Transmission Seal Woes - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

280Zx Transmission Seal Woes

Featured Replies

  • Author

Thorber can u point out in the diagram exactly which seal you are talking about?

Thorber can u point out in the diagram exactly which seal you are talking about?

If you follow the link in my post and look up "Transmission shift control" section the O-ring is part nr. 32550A in the diagram and the striking rod seal is 32850H. You shouls change both.

Btw. I used a local dealer to buy parts. I believe Nissan parts zone uses genuine nissan parts, just the shipping makes it to expensive, so I go local.

Chas

  • Author

I see that. How do u remove the shifter ear mechanism? I haven't looked yet. We'll it looks like I'm off to the nissan dealership

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

A little update. I was putting the case back together and managed to break off that little baffle looking thing at the middle of the tranny where the two peices bolt together. I believe its called an oil gutter. Any solutions? I hope that thing isn't very important.

It is. You should replace it. If you don't the fifth gear and synchro, well everything back there, are not going to get enough oil and wear out very quickly. It could even overhead and seize while your driving.

I replaced mine two years back and they cost about €1.50.

Missed your post on the 14th. You can only dismantle that "ear thing" when the rear extension is dismantled. Then you can dismantle the selector and pull it out the rear. To replace the o-ring on the selector rod you need to punch out a round plate with the selector rod. You can refit the plate with sealant and some centre punch marks.

Im not a home atm (in Aus) so I can't post photos of it and my iPad mini is not being very friendly.

Chas

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.