IGNORED

MASTER VAC BRAKE BOOSTER AND MASTER CYLINDER REPLACEMENT

jalexquijano

I am about to swap my stock Master Vac Brake booster and Master Cylinder with a refurbished one provided by ZedSaver friends in Canada and have the following questions:

1. THe brake booster has some scratches on the paint. Do i need to sand all the paint and primer it back with semi gloss black paint with primer or Should i just sanded with 600 sandpaper where it is scratch and paint it only Which is the exact black color for this Master Vac?

2. Sincé i am replacing also the Master cylinder with a OEM Nissan Master Cylinder and i will need to bleed the brakes, what brake fluid is recommended and should i also consider changing any other parts now that i am there in example: rear brake shoes, drum brake springs hardware kit, rear Wheel brake cylinder or any other parts related?

3. I want to be able to stop the car with the Emergency Brake. This is not happening. The car does lock the brakes but if your booster fails as a security you should also be able to stop it with the EBRAKE at high speed.

Am about to start the swap and will need your opinión if these parts or others should be replaced. I dont see any leaking anyway.

IMG_00003303.jpg

IMG_00003307.jpg

Rear control arm bushings.jpg

3. Your E-brake works with a cable and completely independent of the hydraulic brake system.  In short:  The lever in the car pulls a cable between the transmission tunnel and the rear brakes.  Your rear brakes have a mechanism inside that stop the car when the cable is pulled.  Technically this is a "parking brake" and will not stop your car very fast at any sort of speed so make sure to set your expectations accordingly.

2. DOT3 is the standard replacement for this car.  You should inspect the brake components to determine what needs replacing.  In your case i recommend you get a qualified mechanic to check things out

Edited by Kurbycar32
  • Like 1

Both circuits (front & back) work with or without the booster, they just require more effort. If one circuit fails the other circuit will stop the car but over a longer distance. Pulling the parking brake at speed is a fast way to end up spinning out of control

It sounds like you are comparing the "Ebrake" to your normal braking system. Like Kurby said, its not an Ebrake, just a parking brake. The normal hydraulic braking system is a duel system with a warning switch to indicate any inbalance in the system.

If you are changing the booster/mc I would take the opportunity or have someone check and clean the rest of the system. A lot of gunk builds up over time and a lot of things start seizing up and not work properly, like your parking brake cable. The warning switch is also something that can seize due to corrosion and not work when needed. Bleeding the brakes won't fix it.

1. THe brake booster has some scratches on the paint. Do i need to sand all the paint and primer it back with semi gloss black paint with primer or Should i just sanded with 600 sandpaper where it is scratch and paint it only Which is the exact black color for this Master Vac?

Anyone??

Nobody can give you good advice on how to paint your new booster unit.  They'd have to know what type of paint is on it now.  

If it were mine, I'd just buy some black spray paint and spray away.  The booster doesn't get much abuse at all.  It will last a long time.  Black is black.

12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Nobody can give you good advice on how to paint your new booster unit.  They'd have to know what type of paint is on it now.  

If it were mine, I'd just buy some black spray paint and spray away.  The booster doesn't get much abuse at all.  It will last a long time.  Black is black.

...i want my baby back...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Anyone??

If it were me, I would sand it smooth with 400 grit sand paper......just to clean it up and break the surface. Go ahead and sand off or remove the red sticker. Mask it off and shoot it with a quality gloss or semi gloss black enamel.....light coats till fully covered. Then, order a brand new red sticker from Mike at Banzai Motors......it'll look like brand new!

image.jpg

7 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

when you mean break it up do you mean sanding it until you peel all the black paint leaving it on bare metal or to even the scratches on the paint?

No, just smooth the surface until the paint is dull......if the paint is still on, there's no need to use any primer......just spray over the old paint....simple as that.