IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

Now for my next challenge is the dash harness. I'm really starting to dislike PO'ers.:angry: The dash harness has lots of hacks in it.

20240512_122158.jpg

20240512_122202.jpg

20240512_122214.jpg

20240512_122225.jpg

20240512_122252.jpg

There appear to be 3 different dash harness from 9/70 - sometime in 71. I have other dashes I could use harnesses from but I don't know if they would work. Can anyone give me details on what changed and how hard adapting a 71 dash harness would be?

I think I would lay that harness out on a board and go through it from one end to the other. Check every connector and bulb. Once you get it laid out it isnt quite as daunting. When I got mine all back together, I was having an issue. It turned out to be one terminal on a connector at the passenger firewall was pushed out of place. I was panicked it was something deep under the dash!

I have a box of gauges, and maybe a partial dash harness. Let me know if you need anything. Great progress!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, bluez said:

140lb gauges were still used in 1/71 cars.

According to my notes, the use of the 140psi gauge ended as of "1/71", somewhere around VIN 020000.  This implies that the installation of the 90psi gauge began in Feb-1971. 

FWIW, the lowest and highest VIN's that I've seen for a 1/71 Z are, respectively, 018482 and 020500. That VIN range should be considered approximate (my VIN database is by no means complete), but the high-end number (which would align with end-of-month builds for January) is ~ 5000 units later than Lily's VIN of 014938 (11/70?) and coincides with a time when Nissan's production rate for the Z was ~ 2500 units/month.

There were a lot other changes made to the car's detail design and equipment at the same time, but the "1/71" change date might have been a bit fluid from one item to another so that Nissan could use up existing inventory for the various affected parts.  However, it seems unlikely that any of these changes would have pre-dated "1/71".

Edited by Namerow
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So later dash in an early car?

This is in the "Brown Z"

20240531_181333.jpg

Cody had suggested a great plan. Cannibalize the Brown Z for the dash harness I need and anything else so I can get Lily done for now. They are only a month apart. But I saw the dash and hazard label and then I started wondering what was what?