8 minutes ago, Consigli said:

Pull that radiator and have a shop fix it right. And have them also flush it and/or rod it out. And a good shop will also paint it up nice.  Glue or JB weld is not a legitimate fix. And siteunseen offers an excellent alternative. A 3 row and shroud is the best cooling solution. Radiators with shrouds work much better. 

Only commenting 'cause this post gave me a funny feeling.  What is "legitimate"?  One could argue that adding a row to the radiator is not.  Or a shroud, if it didn't come with one in that year.  If it's okay as long as it looks right, then JB Weld fits, because you can make it look right.  JB Weld is just an adhesive, no different really than a brazed fix, if done properly.  "Right" is what works.  It's just a radiator.

Edited by Zed Head
Stupid spell-correct

JB Weld is an epoxy. It works for many things. It would not be my first choice for this repair because it is an easy thing to pull it and have it re-soldered. If your new car with high strength steels gets damaged in an accident the panel repairs will most likely be completed with 2 part epoxy. So it is not unrealistic to use an epoxy for some repairs, even structural panel replacement! I can think of a number of places where I would use it on a Z and have. This just isn't where I would feel it's necessary...but I happen to have a great radiator shop not too far away

28 minutes ago, Consigli said:

Well your post gives me a funny feeling. Go ahead and argue if you want. JB weld isn't a legitimate fix. May be on your car, but not on most peoples. 

The point was - define legitimate.  It's a vague dimensionless hard to define word.  What do you mean?

7 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The point was - define legitimate.  It's a vague dimensionless hard to define word.  What do you mean?

Your ethanol fueled musings are way too complex & philosophical for me. To quote you, "Is a 3 row radiator really legitimate?" "Is a shroud really legitimate?" You have deep fundamental questions that I cannot answer. You are the expert. Please define "dimensionless" as it relates to radiator repairs. Oh, and JB weld. To use, or not to use, that is the question.  I'm sure your car is slathered with it. But what about everyone else? 

I'll just go to the basics.  It's from Google though.  So I don't know if it's legitimate. 

le·git·i·mate

adjective

ləˈjidəmət/

1. conforming to the law or to rules.

"his claims to legitimate authority"

synonyms:legal, lawful, licit, legalized, authorized, permitted, permissible, allowable, allowed,admissible, sanctioned, approved, licensed, statutory, constitutional; More

Just to be clear, I'm a materials kind of guy.  It's all just what it is.  Metal, plastic, wood.  Datsun used adhesives and sealants on the cars.  They used brazing and welding.  They didn't use wood but they did use plant-based materials, I think.  So, we just need to define the rules,  Qualifying the statement would have been appropriate.  If you want to be like original then 3 rows and shrouds and JB Weld are all illegitimate.  That's why it felt funny.  They're all bad, unless the rules are redefined.

45 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Just to be clear, I'm a materials kind of guy.  It's all just what it is.  Metal, plastic, wood.  Datsun used adhesives and sealants on the cars.  They used brazing and welding.  They didn't use wood but they did use plant-based materials, I think.  So, we just need to define the rules,  Qualifying the statement would have been appropriate.  If you want to be like original then 3 rows and shrouds and JB Weld are all illegitimate.  That's why it felt funny.  They're all bad, unless the rules are redefined.

All clear now! It was a dull Saturday night and Zed Head the 280Z philosopher/mechanic/lawyer/wordsmith felt funny about a word I used and had a nitpick party. I'm sorry. Drink JB weld! Its legitimately good stuff! 

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I'll just go to the basics.  It's from Google though.  So I don't know if it's legitimate. 

le·git·i·mate

adjective

ləˈjidəmət/

1. conforming to the law or to rules.

"his claims to legitimate authority"

synonyms:legal, lawful, licit, legalized, authorized, permitted, permissible, allowable, allowed,admissible, sanctioned, approved, licensed, statutory, constitutional; More

You are showing your ignorance. If you want to be the word cop on this site, you should buy a dictionary.