IGNORED

L28 rebuild needs advice

RS02

41 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Send them to Delta Cams for a resurfacing, $50 and they'll mate up to your reground cam.

DSC00958.JPG  

Wonderful. I'm looking for all the stuff I need. I will make a list after I find all I need. Another question: Is the Nissan Gasket fits bigger ports? Otherwise I'll just buy a kit from Fel Pro. Much better that way. 

I don't recommend Delta. If you have used Nissan rocker and they don't have a big groove worn into them in the middle of the pad, you're ok to reuse. Much better than reground rockers for multiple reasons. This is coming from a combination of my own and others' experiences, as well as straight from Ron Iskenderian's mouth.

Engine parts

Big port manifold kit

Head Gasket kit

L28 swivel polish valve

Engine bearing kit

81-83 flattop pistons

Valve spring kit

Manifold hard wear kit

freeze plug kit

Valve seats 75 intake, 

78+70

Lash pad kit

Rocker are renew

Timing kit

oil pump

Oil pan gasket

oil pump hardware

cam regrind

This is all I can come up with righ now... Is there anything I can save money/spend more on?

6 hours ago, RS02 said:

Thanks man. I did want to use this head but people kept telling me that the chamber design of late model E88s are just not good for proformance. Now I'm not sure if I want to find another one or just use this. I will get my old camshaft regrinded to a more aggresive one and that might actually work...

Your right about that head! Many people say its a bad design. I have almost the same engine you will build and i also wasent sure if i would be happy with that head do to all thats been said about it.

I live in Sweden and there are NO parts here and i desided to use what I had.

I also called a known engine builder in California and he said it's not that bad at all if you do some mods to it.

My friend how build my engine also built his engine at the same time using the same parts exept he had an N42 head.

I think my car makes slightly more power but that could be the gearing.

My car put down 180hp to the rear wheels and I guess that good numbers because the head haven't been ported and I haven't taken my time to really get it tuned yet. 

Just my thoughts.

Im no expert.

keep on posting and good luck!

I bought my parts a little cheaper than what you have shown.  If those are Nissan I can understand the difference.  I bought all I could from Advance Auto online and used a 30% discount code.  I also bought my cam kit from Schneider Cams for $427.  I sent in a JAPAN marked cam and they sent me a cut cam (not mine) and the springs plus new retainers and lash pads.  I called and talked with them beforehand and the guy told me I would have to buy new rockers or have mine resurfaced to be in compliance with their warranty.  I've read dozens of people saying the same as Leon V says above but for another $50 I thought it was worth it.  So $500 for a complete cam kit using my cam and rockers.  It's their number 270-90F, MSA calls it a Stage III.

The Felpro manifold gasket is shaped like a diamond on the exhaust ports to match square and round headers/manifolds.  The Nissan matches the square ports on my MSA header perfect, it's the head that I had to grind.  Most of the parts you're buying will have their own gaskets, timing cover, water pump and oil pump but it's nice to have the whole kit if you've never put one together.  When I did #2 rebuild I bought a Felpro head gasket and that Nissan manifold gasket, used the ones that came with the parts and cut the rest out of gasket material I bought from a chain store.  It was only the coolant inlet and outlet and the carburetors.

It would be nice if you could find a newer head and rob the oiler cam and towers to put on the E88, plus the spray bar.  You'd want a turbo high volume oil pump...blah blah blah.  I could go on forever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moelk said:

Your right about that head! Many people say its a bad design. I have almost the same engine you will build and i also wasent sure if i would be happy with that head do to all thats been said about it.

I live in Sweden and there are NO parts here and i desided to use what I had.

I also called a known engine builder in California and he said it's not that bad at all if you do some mods to it.

My friend how build my engine also built his engine at the same time using the same parts exept he had an N42 head.

I think my car makes slightly more power but that could be the gearing.

My car put down 180hp to the rear wheels and I guess that good numbers because the head haven't been ported and I haven't taken my time to really get it tuned yet. 

Just my thoughts.

Im no expert.

keep on posting and good luck!

Well E88 is not a bad thing plus I need to save because it's a buget build after all. I'll try port the head to fit the reproductioned "Nismo" Gasket and see how it goes. 

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I bought my parts a little cheaper than what you have shown.  If those are Nissan I can understand the difference.  I bought all I could from Advance Auto online and used a 30% discount code.  I also bought my cam kit from Schneider Cams for $427.  I sent in a JAPAN marked cam and they sent me a cut cam (not mine) and the springs plus new retainers and lash pads.  I called and talked with them beforehand and the guy told me I would have to buy new rockers or have mine resurfaced to be in compliance with their warranty.  I've read dozens of people saying the same as Leon V says above but for another $50 I thought it was worth it.  So $500 for a complete cam kit using my cam and rockers.  It's their number 270-90F, MSA calls it a Stage III.

The Felpro manifold gasket is shaped like a diamond on the exhaust ports to match square and round headers/manifolds.  The Nissan matches the square ports on my MSA header perfect, it's the head that I had to grind.  Most of the parts you're buying will have their own gaskets, timing cover, water pump and oil pump but it's nice to have the whole kit if you've never put one together.  When I did #2 rebuild I bought a Felpro head gasket and that Nissan manifold gasket, used the ones that came with the parts and cut the rest out of gasket material I bought from a chain store.  It was only the coolant inlet and outlet and the carburetors.

It would be nice if you could find a newer head and rob the oiler cam and towers to put on the E88, plus the spray bar.  You'd want a turbo high volume oil pump...blah blah blah.  I could go on forever. 

Very useful. Thanks. I got the price from most of the companies like Datsun Sprint, MSA, Z speciallists, etc. I didn't buy the fel-pro kit and I'm planning on get the big port gasket from Datsun Sprint. I'd better start looking for parts on Advance Auto. Save me more money and this project could go way more easier.:D Also I will get the turbo pump since everybody says it's a must.

Edited by RS02

That engine stainless steel bolt kit from Zcardepot.com was very nice for $99, I forgot about that.  It has all your exhaust manifold studs with proper lock nuts included.  Everything is separately packaged and labeled, very nice.  He may have a bearing kit too, I like the way he does things by getting everything together for you and selling it all together as a kit.

I would also buy some Aviation Gasket Sealer and a bottle of Anti-Seize Thread Lubricant from Advance Auto with the discount.  If you have a store close by, use the "ship to store" option at checkout and pick it up there.  No shipping charges.

I wasn't too happy with the felpro rear main crank seal and those flat side seals and nails.  The second motor i bought a Nissan seal and the side seals, way better in my opinion.  I've got those part numbers in a file I can post later.

Image result for Aviation Gasket SealerImage result for Anti-Seize Thread Lubricant

• Like 2

Engine parts

Big port manifold kit

Datsun sprint

Head Gasket kit

Datsun sprint

L28 swivel polish valve

Datsun sprint

Engine main bearing kit

ZCar depot

Water pump

ZCar depot