IGNORED

Charcoal Canister Relocation

wheee!

I am wondering if anyone has successfully relocated the Charcoal Canister from the engine bay to a less obvious location. Either that or an effective delete process without negative side effects...

IMG_9004.thumb.JPG.63520e8c8211fc8d594f9

The photo above shows the Canister beside the fuel filter. I would like to move the fuel line and filter to the firewall along with the fuel pressure regulator. I don't want the negative effects of a delete that gives off a fuel smell either. Or fuel lines running all around the engine bay. Hmmmm. Thoughts?

Just want to move it away from the passenger side front of the engine compartment to avoid fuel lines all over the place. I wanted to have the fuel lines come up the firewall and back down along with the filter etc to avoid extra lines everywhere. I specifically didn't want a fuel line in front of the engine.

I removed mine completely.  I ran a SS line directly from the electric fuel pump at the back all along the frame rail (where the original fuel hard lines were located), up the firewall on the passenger side and this terminates in a FPR which is mounted to the firewall.  I then run the output of the FPR to a small fuel rail mounted on the side of the head.  I run triple Webers and so your install will likely be a little different, but I have had no unusual side effects with removing the canister.  I also had the canister bracket removed and the attach points welded up before I had the engine bay painted.  This really helped to clean up the engine bay a lot.  Also did the same thing with the vacuum canister.

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike.

• Like 1

Mark,

No take pressure issues and no gas smells at all.  My Z is a late manufacture 260Z which actually is the 75 280Z body style (with the big bumpers), so I believe the fuel distribution system was the same albeit at much lower pressure.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike.

There are two ways to do this.  I chose to deadhead my installation meaning that the FPR is before the fuel rail and I do not use a return.  The return line is removed and blocked off at the tank.  The alternative is to use a return line with the FPR after the fuel rail.  If you choose to go this way you need to make sure that you source a FPR that was intended to be used with a return. 

Either way should work.  I have had zero issues with the setup I have now.  I've attached a picture so you can see my setup with the small fuel rail in the center.  If you look over at the passenger side firewall you can see the side of the fuel pressure gauge which is attached to the FPR.

Mike.DSC_2394_1.JPG

• Like 1

The EFI FPR's work by bleeding off excess pressure.  So without a return line there's no control mechanism, no where for the excess pressure to go.  Could be that an FPR before the rail with no return line is actually not doing anything at all.  Max fuel pressure is probably determined by the pump's internal pressure relief.

I'm not sure how other FPR's work, but that's the principle behind the EFI units.  That's why if you block the return line the pressure rises to the pump's max.

And the fumes have to be going somewhere.  They probably just get purged away from the vent exit quickly if you don't smell them.  Or you smoke.  The purpose of the charcoal canister is to store them until they can be sucked in to the engine.  For the environment.