IGNORED

1972 240Z Sells for $37K at Barrett-Jackson Auction

lonetreesteve

Looks like it's had the alternator upgrade, can't see the voltage regulator and the fuel filter appears to be mounted where the regulator would have been. It's missing the fresh air ducts from the radiator mounting panel to the front fender wells too. 

16 minutes ago, lonetreesteve said:

The $40,700.00 includes the Barrett-Jackson 10% fee of $3,700.00. The winning bid was $37,000.00

That just seems odd. I would have thought that if the car sold for $37,000 Barrett-Jackson would take their 10% from that amount and the seller would get $33,300. Wasn't aware that the buyer had 10% tacked onto the price they bid for the car?? That just seems wrong, but what do I know! Seems like all other transactions like this work the way I think they work.

Picture a Barrett-Jackson car selling for $250,000 that also has a reserve where Barrett-Jackson ups the anti to even more... That adds over $25,000 to the price. I guess if you can pay $250,000 then the tack on is just chump change.

Edited by w3wilkes

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Here's a 73 that sold for $20,900 - http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1973-DATSUN-240Z-213213

Edit - there must have been a glitch because it showed me the price.  Now you have to register to see it.

I'm surprised that the car didn't sell for more money than the $20,900 including the 10% Barrett-Jackson fees. It looks to be a very clean and original car.  It could be the bright color of the '72 that sold last night that brought more money. I know when watching the broadcast last night of the '72,  Rick Debruhl mentioned that there was a bidding war going on between 2 bidders. That's usually all it takes to get the price to rise.  

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Here's a 73 that sold for $20,900 - http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1973-DATSUN-240Z-213213

Edit - there must have been a glitch because it showed me the price.  Now you have to register to see it.

I had the same glitch and so I took the screen snip from it that I posted above. That's where I got the $40,700 figure, right off the listing I posted.

I live in the Portland Oregon metro area, surrounded by tech professionals with nostalgic memories, some of their own times and some of their parents.  They're all rich.  

The 280ZX's were both 2+2's.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

That just seems odd. I would have thought that if the car sold for $37,000 Barrett-Jackson would take their 10% from that amount and the seller would get $33,300. Wasn't aware that the buyer had 10% tacked onto the price they bid for the car?? That just seems wrong, but what do I know! Seems like all other transactions like this work the way I think they work.

Picture a Barrett-Jackson car selling for $250,000 that also has a reserve where Barrett-Jackson ups the anti to even more... That adds over $25,000 to the price. I guess if you can pay $250,000 then the tack on is just chump change.

I believe that Barrett-Jackson charges both the seller and the buyer 5% each, but I could be wrong.