IGNORED

Play in rear strut

Diseazd

It's most probably caused by excessive end play in your spider gears. Thats the 4 gears in your diff centre. The two larger gears (where the axles slide into) will move back and forth. It's caused by the wear in the thrust washers behind gears. They can wear, especially when people do one wheel burn out.

My excusses for my poor drawing talent on a tablet. The arrows are the back and forth movement and circles are where the thrust washers are located.

20190610_071723.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
Photo

If the rest of the diff is in good working order, you can fix this problem by replacing the thrust washers with a thicker spec washer.

The clearance should be 0.1 to 0.2mm.

You will need to remove the centre and the ring gear. Then you can tap out the roll pin (27) and pin (23) will tap out easily. The thrust washers are (26).

Someone might want it or it could be a good spare.

Screenshot_20190610-072041.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
Correcting. Need to remove centre

Still got some movement with the metallic sound you hear in the new video. It’s a new diff and CV axles. I did use the stub axles (that go into the diff) from the old diff. I’m stumped. Anyone think it could be play in the stub axle since that’s the only thing used from the previous set up? 

Wheel bearing is solid. The more I do, the more I think I’m trying to fix something that ain’t broke. When both wheels are off the ground and it’s free wheeling, maybe an inch of play is normal. I replaced the diff, the half shafts and then again, the stub axle. There is no play when driving, so I think I’m gonna bet that a little play is normal when both wheels are off the ground. BTW....I absolutely love the FutoFab CV axles, and talk about easy to remove them when I wanted to pull the stub axle......a breeze!

EFD22C49-00F4-4DBC-A265-D5653E83803F.jpeg

FDD792AF-6A16-42A8-9CEB-5B8320F0A5F5.jpeg

Edited by Diseazd