IGNORED

Restoration of BringaTrailer 240z - HLS30-35883

inline6

Posted (edited)

I didn't keep track of the hours closely, but I am going to say it took something around 10 hours of work to remove the scratches and restore the shine to the left door window.  Thanks again to @Patcon for helping me source a left door glass with a date on it that is "in the ball park" for my 6/71 car.  There were several deep scratches as well as some pitting which I was mostly successful at removing.  I don't know if anyone else has the stomach for putting this much effort into removing scratches on glass, however, I think I should be honest in case future readers want to give it a try.  

The most aggressive disc in the kit is "a beast".  It will quickly remove glass... and put nasty swirl marks in your glass in the process.  Use it only if you have really deep scratches.  The green discs (middle grit) are quite aggressive.  Use these for light scratches and minor imperfections.  The blue discs are quite fine.  You will burn through them at a pace of 5 to 1 vs. the green discs.  It is hard to see when you have sufficiently polished out the scratches from the green discs.  Attack the glass at a 90 degree angle from when you use the green disc.  It will be easier to see when you have removed those scratches if you do this.  

This https://glasspolishshop.com/polishing-repair-compounds/cerium-oxide is effective at polishing the glass back to a good amount of clarity and shine.  If found that the Eastwood polishing buff was better than the polishing pad that was included in the pro polishing kit I bought: https://glasspolishshop.com/glass-restoration/scratched-glass-repair-kits/pro-glass-scratch-removal-kit-xnet-system.  I think the Eastwood felt buff was harder than the one received in the kit.  And using it, I believe the cerium oxide was utilized more effectively on the glass.  With a softer pad, I think the cerium oxide was not pushed as hard against the glass, and therefore, did not polish as effectively.

After so many hours of neck wrenching work, the scratches have been removed from the glass (except those very close to the Temperlte etching).  When sighting down the glass at a sharp angle, you will be able to see slight waves or undulations.  The finished product looks a bit like bodywork that was not done perfectly.  Glass does get removed after all, and because it is so hard relative to primer or filler on a car body, it is exceedingly difficult to remove scratches and keep the glass perfectly flat.  

Anyway, there it is - the info you would like to have about attempting to remove scratches from glass.  It takes a lot of effort, many hours, and though the final result may remove deep scratches, the final result will leave you with some slight waviness in the glass, and not the same level of smoothness as the factory finish.  

In other news, the window support is different from the 1971 vs. 1975 cars.  Here are a few pictures which show that the regulator channels are in different locations.  This makes using a 75 window in a 71 car not work.

IMG_20240721_135608.jpg  IMG_20240721_135613.jpg  IMG_20240721_135618.jpg

IMG_20240721_135626.jpg  IMG_20240721_175458.jpg  IMG_20240721_175325.jpg

After I finished work on the left door glass, I installed it in its frame/support and installed it in the left door.  Order of operations is: Install stainless steel frame (with glass channel weather strip already installed. Then window glass.  Then front glass glide.  Then regulator.  Then rear lower guide for regulator wheel.  After I confirmed rolling the window down and up was as it should be, I installed the 3M product for holding the vapor barrier in place.  This product is very tacky.  So, it sticks to the door, and the plastic vapor barrier to it, extremely well.

IMG_20240721_181122.jpg  IMG_20240721_181145.jpg  IMG_20240721_182227.jpg

Next, I will put the door panel clip receivers in place.  I will need to cut the vapor barrier in a couple of places (around the window roller and the door release) and I will need to glue in place a couple of rubber seals before I can put the door panel on.

Edited by inline6
  • Like 3

I have been thinking of driving the car to ZCon in Tampa.  I've made a list of things that need to done before the car is done and it is large.  At this point, I am thinking I will not be able to finish in time.  

Here is a partial list, mostly of items requiring outside assistance:

• Machine shop to remove a small amount of material from the left side flange of the differential - need to put the stock pinion shim back in and then check back lash with original side shims in their respective places.  Then check backlash again after moving the one left shim to the right side.  Compare the difference and estimate amount to have removed from left side flange, given side shim sizes available.
  • Send driveshaft off for balancing, but... I have to put the differential in car and check drive shaft fit first.  I may need to remove some of the shielding on either the rear of the transmission or the driveshaft. 
  • Tell Snake Oyl to proceed with the restoration of the seat belts I sent them in June even if reproduction date tags cannot be sourced (they have delayed for weeks because they haven't been able to confirm that they can get the tags from "their vendor".
  • Buy carpet in bulk (still have to decide which).  Cut to fit the car and have local company put correct finished edging.  Or, purchase Auto Custom Carpets, Inc. kit from RockAuto.  I may purchase this kit for day to day use... and have a custom set of carpets for show.  
  • Get gas door lock and ash tray grill chrome plated by local company
  • Horns - these have to be re-plated before I can put them back together

I also have the following fairly large lift items:
  • Assemble the seats - fit new support straps, foam and upholstery covers.
  • Repair/restore center console
  • Test gas tank for leaks - source and install a new tank from S30 World if it leaks
  • Find source of the electrical short circuit in the windshield wiper circuit

Then, there are the things I am forgetting...  hahaha

• Like 2

8 hours ago, inline6 said:
  • Find source of the electrical short circuit in the windshield wiper circuit

I think I know someone in the local area who has knowledge of tracing electrical circuits.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

I think I know someone in the local area who has knowledge of tracing electrical circuits.

I certainly could use the help. 🙂  

20 hours ago, Patcon said:

That's a good plan.

It is a pretty extensive list.

I would be interested in your local platers contact info for the gas door locks, hatch lock buttons etc.

I called them today.  It seems they had a place in Atlanta, but they said that during Co-vid they shut it down.  They only have operations in CA now.  I will send them pics and get a quote.  This is the website: https://decometalfinishing.com/chrome-plating-in-atlanta-ga.html

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From my list: 

• Machine shop to remove a small amount of material from the left side flange of the differential - need to put the stock pinion shim back in and then check back lash with original side shims in their respective places.  Then check backlash again after moving the one left shim to the right side.  Compare the difference and estimate amount to have removed from left side flange, given side shim sizes available.
  • Send driveshaft off for balancing, but... I have to put the differential in car and check drive shaft fit first.  I may need to remove some of the shielding on either the rear of the transmission or the driveshaft. 
  • Tell Snake Oyl to proceed with the restoration of the seat belts I sent them in June even if reproduction date tags cannot be sourced (they have delayed for weeks because they haven't been able to confirm that they can get the tags from "their vendor".  They will be able to get the labels.  Cashier's check and additional parts are going out via UPS to them tomorrow.
  • Buy carpet in bulk (still have to decide which).  Cut to fit the car and have local company put correct finished edging.  Or, purchase Auto Custom Carpets, Inc. kit from RockAuto.  I may purchase this kit for day to day use... and have a custom set of carpets for show.  I Purchased an Essex pile version of the carpet set available from ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6070062&cc=1209158&pt=1264&jsn=10419&optionchoice=1-A1168-0-1
  • Get gas door lock and ash tray grill chrome plated by local company - email with pictures of parts needing to be re-chromed sent to get quote
  • Horns - these have to be re-plated before I can put them back together

I also have the following fairly large lift items:
  • Assemble the seats - fit new support straps, foam and upholstery covers.
  • Repair/restore center console
  • Test gas tank for leaks - source and install a new tank from S30 World if it leaks
  • Find source of the electrical short circuit in the windshield wiper circuit Found it with @SteveJ help.  

So, some progress, but it still looks like I am going to run out of time to me.  

My windshield wipers were not parking as they should.  They were parking higher than their range of sweep.  That is not right.  They are supposed to have a range of sweep that is higher than the park position.  After reading related posts, I realized that I had not paid attention to the reassembly of some of the parts on the wiper linkage.

In order for the linkage to park lower, the offset cam piece in the wiper linkage has to be in the position to make the linkage arm longer. 

Some pics:

As found with the issue:
cam/offset in the short position:

IMG_20240730_173242.jpg

cam/offset in the long position (note that you can see the edge of the of the back plate, and the linkage bar that attaches to the motor is extended to the left a bit more:

IMG_20240730_173300.jpg

After removing the clip and the top washer:

IMG_20240730_174342.jpg

After flipping the cam/washer piece with tang over - now with the tang at the top position, the link bar is in it's shorter length position.
IMG_20240730_174505.jpg

So the pic just above is CORRECT.  This is the position of the washer with the tang when the motor is operating.  When the motor reverses, the offset and tang will rotate 180 degrees.  This will move the link bar to the "long" position which will extend the effective length of this arm just a touch.  And it will result in a park position on the windshield where the wipers will be lower on the windshield than the normal sweep range.  

Also, I found that the best park position was set when the link bar (the piece that bolts to the back of the wiper motor shaft is in alignment as in these pictures.  In other words, the ideal park position is achieved when the link bar is in perfect alignment with the long linkage bar it is attached to.  Like this ------  -------.  Not angled either up or down from the long bar, but simply a linear extension.  

I had to install the motor with the bag hanging off to the side so I could mess with the round cap on top of the motor that adjusts final resting location of the motor shaft.  Then remove the motor again, put the bag on and reinstall the motor.

Edited by inline6
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I continued working on the center console this week.  I used an 800 grit sponge sanding pad and went over the texture.  Here are several pictures before painting.

IMG_20240807_174005.jpg  IMG_20240807_174049.jpg  IMG_20240807_174136.jpg

IMG_20240807_174340.jpg   IMG_20240807_175319.jpg  IMG_20240807_175325.jpg

The texture doesn't look like the factory one so much, but it is a decent approximation.  From the last picture in this group of three through the rest of the pictures, the console has semi-gloss black paint applied.

IMG_20240807_175335.jpg   IMG_20240807_175343.jpg  IMG_20240807_183237.jpg

IMG_20240807_183241.jpg  IMG_20240807_183300.jpg  IMG_20240807_183326.jpg

Another little project I completed was these interior trim panels.  The silver/chrome had come off of them.  I don't know what happened to my pictures of the "before", but the "chrome" stripe was blue.  I found this Metalized Polyester Mylar Film Tape with Acrylic Adhesive and decided to give it a try:

image.png

It took about 7 tries to get it on the panel to my satisfaction.  I was getting some air bubbles on some of the attempts.  And it was a bit crooked on some as well.  Thankfully, you get 72 yards of it on one roll, so I had plenty to spare.  🙂

Anyway, I am very pleased with the final outcome. I hope it stands up to heat, etc. well as time progresses. 

IMG_20240810_152021.jpg  IMG_20240810_152018.jpg  stubborn picture.jpg

Edited by inline6
  • Like 4