IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

7 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

It's really hard to gauge paint in pics like that, but it looks like there is too much orange peel, and it looks "deeper". Like base/clear instead of the original single stage. Hard to judge.

And the rear tail light panel is the wrong color. Way too light. I'm thinking they painted that panel maybe at the same time they painted the rest of the car?

Wait...  Were the 2+2 rear tail light panels a different color than the coupes?

Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful car. I'm just curious what "all original" means these days.

I'm pretty certain its single stage. If you've ever seen the really fine checking that happens to it, this is what's going on. Zero orange peel.

53 minutes ago, DC871F said:

Yikes. Not sure if this was posted or not. This car was stolen.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-125/

Yup.  I created a post on August 17th. 

After the auction, I was ready to contact the BAT police to report an incident of grand theft auto!!!   

Frankly, I was a bit surprised the seller agreed to the lowball reserve BAT offered up to place this car on the auction block.  The buyer got the deal of the year snagging a blue chip example for less than half it would cost to embark on a 240Z restoration of this caliber today.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'd find it hard to believe that this poor chap had less than 80K invested in this 240. Perhaps he had to sell for any number of reasons. My romantic side would like to think it had to do with a woman/man.

However, all of those chimers who were oooohhhhing and aaaahhhhing over this restoration and planning to use it as a model for their effort are and will be off by a country mile. I didn't spend too much time looking it over but a lot of his mistakes just jumped off the page at me.

1 - Lifting eyes should be clear not yellow

2 - The rule of thumb is that bolts with hex and Phillips heads are clear not yellow, ditto for machine screws.

3 - Too much use of yellow assembly marks. Not every suspension fastener got one.

4 - His yellow plating is flat and dull. I've had to reject my share of plating loads for this problem and then wait and wait for the plater to make things whole. That's the price one sometimes has to pay. 

5 - Original, now brown, electrical connector housings. Damn, he had to remove the 5 wire connector for the wiper motor to fit my firewall grommet but what did he do - reinstalled the original!

6 - No detailing of the engine compartment wiring harness.

7 - Old original nasty looking rear window defrost connectors.

Now for the good news

1 - He used my all but perfect engine paint and as per my instructions painted the right motor mount bracket satin black. Can't remember if the pan was satin black with yellow fasteners as it should be.

An interesting detail that has intrigued me for a long time. Early cars, at lease until about 5-6 /71 perhaps a bit later,  secured the heater and blower assys to the firewall using 6mm bolts -  hex and Phillips head so they should be clear - with captive lock washers. After about that date or so they added non captive flats.

My opinion about the future of Gold Medallion 240s. There will be almost none, if any, from here out.

That's enough. 

IMG_3639.JPG

7 hours ago, zspert said:

IMG_3639.JPG

I remember a friend from Minnesota would come out in the winter to work and ski at Alta Utah. He had an older version of this Saab, maybe 66 or 67, that was a 2 cycle motor!

Good morning HS30-H.

While I understand and respect the Japanese Industrial Standards as a member of the SAE I'm expected, no required, to reflect the prejudices of that organization. 

Do you know Len W? He lives near Tunbridge Wells.  Currently he drives a red left hand drive 240.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2