IGNORED

Still struggling with car at idle after 8 years

jalexquijano

See the fuel line on the bottom? Push that part up to make sure its seated. Pull the choke lever back and forth and watch them open and then close. Make sure they arent getting hung up. I think you said these were ztherapy, so they should be pretty good. I second the others on ignition. 

11 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Should i loosen the screws and remove choke cables completely?

Just remember.. always take some pictures BEFORE taking it/something apart and yes.. everybody thinks i remember how it was... most don't haha.. so take pics from every angle.  Better to many pics then to few!

As to answer your question: Opening the screw on the inner cable should be enough to feel if the choke bottoms out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for your advice. Any chance i can drive the car without the air filter installed? I like to test the car to be sure the choke is not getting stuck when its returned to the off position. Will i risk damaging the carbs or engine parts driving it without the air filter only to troubleshoot?

3 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Thanks for your advice. Any chance i can drive the car without the air filter installed? I like to test the car to be sure the choke is not getting stuck when its returned to the off position. Will i risk damaging the carbs or engine parts driving it without the air filter only to troubleshoot?

Yes drive it without if you want. No issue at all. I always removed mine when I autocrossed it.

8 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Any chance i can drive the car without the air filter installed?

Ask yourself the question, where for is a airfilter.. to block air? No.. just to keep dust (and all other debre) out of the engines cylinders.. If you drive the car on a "clean"day without a sandstorm.. it will be no problem.. When engineers fidle on engines half of the time the filter is not in place.. Just remember that it's there for protection of the cylinderwalls and stuff.  If the air around the car was always clean you wouldn't need a airfilter.

5 hours ago, gundee said:

I always removed mine when I autocrossed it.

Hey Gundee, i get that you want a faster car (By removing the airfilter) but in a autocross (With lots of dust!) I especially would use the filter as the cars in front of you make a lot of dust... or.. do you always drive at the front? 👍

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Well i did notice there is some slight slack before the choke cables start pulling the fuel jets.  Any videos or instructions on how to adjust both choke cables precisely? Really wann get this done today saturday.

Edited by jalexquijano

I always adjusted my choke cables to end up with a little slack before they pulled the nozzles. My reasoning was I wanted that extra bit of slack to push the nozzles all the way up even if the choke knob wouldn't go all the way to the off position. That did prevent the cables from pulling the nozzles all the way to the bottom but even here in the NW I rarely needed full choke in the winter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I remember Alex having problems with the chokes light staying on and showing him the switch under the console. I wonder, is all that good and tight? Did you ever install the choke handle mount that screws down on the tunnel?

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I remember Alex having problems with the chokes light staying on and showing him the switch under the console. I wonder, is all that good and tight? Did you ever install the choke handle mount that screws down on the tunnel?

Yes all this was sorted out. No yellow light showing if the choke is off. Just want to know how much slack is recommended. If i pull the choke lever all the way up it starts pulling the nozzle down once the lever reaches 3/4 of the way.

6 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

once the lever reaches 3/4 of the way.

Wow... that's too much slack.. let's say a few mm. or as the americans say: 1/4 inch on the lever..  You can wiggle the lever in the beginning without reaction near the carbs.. then it's okay, when you pull the lever half an inch then you must see a reaction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Wow... that's too much slack.. let's say a few mm. or as the americans say: 1/4 inch on the lever..  You can wiggle the lever in the beginning without reaction near the carbs.. then it's okay, when you pull the lever half an inch then you must see a reaction.

You mean removing unsrewing both screws until the cables start to pull? Will this help in someway?