IGNORED

Still struggling with car at idle after 8 years

jalexquijano

19 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

You mean removing unsrewing both screws until the cables start to pull?

I'm sorry but i don't know what you mean here..

18 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

If i reduce the slack too much when i pull/ open the choke i will be reaching to 2500 rpm

That's normal!  If i pull my choke all the way on my 240z it's at 2500 rpm easely.. just don't! 🙂   The choke is there to get it started when cold (weather)  After start push the choke back to about 1200/1500 rpm  depending on the cold.. (Not very cold overthere i guess Panama?)

As i said, a little slack should be in both cables but there should be some reaction f you pull the lever halfway or even on half an inch..

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I'm sorry but i don't know what you mean here..

That's normal!  If i pull my choke all the way on my 240z it's at 2500 rpm easely.. just don't! 🙂   The choke is there to get it started when cold (weather)  After start push the choke back to about 1200/1500 rpm  depending on the cold.. (Not very cold overthere i guess Panama?)

As i said, a little slack should be in both cables but there should be some reaction f you pull the lever halfway or even on half an inch..

Ok. Let me unscrew and start pulling both cables until i see some movement before i fasten them. I think ill need a helper to pull the lever.

Oh boy...  If you unscrew the cables there will be NO movement.. you have to make sure that the chokes bottom out (NO shoke) then put the choke knob in the almost close position (Like 3-4 mm off the closed position..) them screw the cables tight and if you then pull the choke they will come ON.. (enough)

(You must be a theoretical physicist hihi... 🙊)

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Oh boy...  If you unscrew the cables there will be NO movement.. you have to make sure that the chokes bottom out (NO shoke) then put the choke knob in the almost close position (Like 3-4 mm off the closed position..) them screw the cables tight and if you then pull the choke they will come ON.. (enough)

(You must be a theoretical physicist hihi... 🙊)

There are 2 screws that hold the choke cable at both carbs one on the bottom and on the top. Can you expand a little bit more on this. I just want to eliminate all possible causes for my plug getting fouled.

20240810_163834.jpg

What you really need to check is that  the choke nozzle is fully seated (up) into the carb with choke off.  Black thing in the picture. Then put the choke on and check the nozzles, they should pull down, away from the carb. Do that a few times to make sure they arent hanging up. If the little rubber fuel lines are stiff, that can make them hang up. 

You can loosen the screw at the cable and push up on the nozzles to make sure they are seated (blue arrow), then tighten. Fast idle is adjusted from a different place. 

The main thing is the nozzle seating all the way with the choke lever off. 

Screenshot 2024-08-12 092306.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, emccallum said:

What you really need to check is that  the choke nozzle is fully seated (up) into the carb with choke off.  Black thing in the picture. Then put the choke on and check the nozzles, they should pull down, away from the carb. Do that a few times to make sure they arent hanging up. If the little rubber fuel lines are stiff, that can make them hang up. 

You can loosen the screw at the cable and push up on the nozzles to make sure they are seated (blue arrow), then tighten. Fast idle is adjusted from a different place. 

The main thing is the nozzle seating all the way with the choke lever off. 

Screenshot 2024-08-12 092306.jpg

Both of these carbs were remanufactured in 2014 by Ztherapy. Fuel nozzles go all the way up once i close or reset the choke cable. Now i did noticed that i have to pull the choke to 3/4 for the fuel nozzle to move down. Which of the choke screws do i need to release so i can shorten that big slack? How do i get this done without depending on a 3rd party moving the choke lever?

Just now, jalexquijano said:

Both of these carbs were remanufactured in 2014 by Ztherapy. Fuel nozzles go all the way up once i close or reset the choke cable. Now i did noticed that i have to pull the choke to 3/4 for the fuel nozzle to move down. Which of the choke screws do i need to release so i can shorten that big slack? How do i get this done without depending on a 3rd party moving the choke lever?

20240812_152335.jpg

20240812_152454.jpg

20240812_152557.jpg

20240812_152811.jpg

Loosen the two choke cable screws on the carbs, push the choke knob to a centimeter from closed, and tighten the screws. You state the nozzles are up. Was that a visual check or a Braille check? That little flat-bar linkage piece that pulls down the nozzles can warp and bind the nozzle in the down position,