IGNORED

Hoping for some help on an old topic - Combo Switch

Vin S

Hi guys, I hope to get some help-- I did some searches most of which led me to various articles in this forum, and the info was really helpful but I still have some questions.  Background:  Been restoring a 72 240 for close to two years, working on the electrical now, I am replacing almost all of the wiring with a generic painless-type harness, and have been using deutsch connectors for added reliability and weatherproofing.  I have some questions on the combo switch.  The circuit diagrams I have seen seem to indicate the red wire is what brings 12V to this switch for the headlights.  I am far from expert, but when I open the switch up, that seems wrong.  If you look at the brass rocker underneath, it looks like that red wire will only connect if the headlights are full on, so if that is the power wire, what happens when the lights are in the parking light position?  The red wire on my combo switch seems to be the one that should go to one of the headlights.  So, where does power come from for this switch? I know about relays and will be installing them even though I am using LED headlights (just saving you guys time).  Unfortunately, in trying to solve one problem I created a new one-- in opening the switch up I lost the little springs and caps that go in the plastic housing you can see in the picture.  I can get the springs, but any ideas on fabbing the caps, they seem to be unobtainable as a separate part.  Thank you for your help, most of the posts here are quite old but I think this is the right place to post this.

20240115_194524.jpg

20240121_232538.jpg

20240121_232604.jpg

Power is supplied by two wires - one for the headlights and one for the parking lights, both power sources enter via the center posts. The white/red wire is power in for the headlights, the green wire is power in for the parking lights. When the switch is off, you will have continuity between the white/red wire and the unused post in front of it, the same is true for the green wire and the unsed post in front of it. The first click on the switch activates the parking light circuit, continuity moves  to the green wire and green/white wire, no change on the white/red wire. The second click adds in the headlight circuit and continuity shifts between the white/red wire and the red wire. I hope my explanation is clear and this helps a bit. Sorry, no spare nubbins.

• Like 1

thanks so much, I am going to study your reply with the switch in front of me to make sure I understand.

Has anyone used a ball bearing to replace the nubbin?  Seems like one that was soldered on top of the spring might work.  my wife has a beading kit hmmm

53 minutes ago, Vin S said:

thanks so much, I am going to study your reply with the switch in front of me to make sure I understand.

The wire colors changed over the years but the internal switch post positions and functions did not. This diagram is correct for all S30 headlight switch functions.

image.png

• Like 3

I bought some broken switches off eBay a while back, for parts. Now I can't find them 🥵 One of the problems with hoarding parts I guess. 

I'll keep looking for it as it likely had some nubbins and springs. They are in one of the crates/boxes, I know I did not sell any of that stuff. 

I'll wait to offer them until I have them in my had, lol

• Like 3