IGNORED

75 280Z - 5 speed swap from 81 280ZX - any catches I should be aware of?

Posted (edited)

There's a guy on Hybridz who really got deep in to rebuidling and improving these transmissions.  It's entertaining and I think he covers many of the basics of rebuilding.  It starts out slow and simple but gets pretty complex by the end.

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/110792-high-rpm-shifting-dynamics/

Edited by Zed Head
Can't speell, can't right.

I don't use the search feature on the forum. I use a Google search and use "site:classiczcars.com" at the end. It will crawl this site alone for results.

I get better results this way

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Probably not a "requirement".  Dave WM rebuilt one with completely destroyed adapter plate bearings (the center plate) and it worked fine when finished.  It was still working even with the bad bearings.  The parts seem to be very durable and able to take lots of abuse.  Dave's thread might also be pretty descriptive as far as rebuilding.

@Dave WM

Otherwise, hate to do it to you but ... the FSM has a very thorough rebuild procedure laid out.

I was assuming the 280Z manual would not be accurate for the 5 speed - your opinion is that the 4 speed directions are essential;y the same? Or did you mean the FSM for the 280ZX?

21 hours ago, HusseinHolland said:

81 280ZX 5 speed

I'd use this one.  Should be a Manual Transmission chapter inside. 

A sample.

image.png

There's even a specific bearings section.

image.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I'd use this one.  Should be a Manual Transmission chapter inside. 

A sample.

There's even a specific bearings section.

Thank you so much for posting the link. I'll download & print the relevant sections.

I've had a few apart for small things but have not replaced the adapter plate bearings.  From what I've read the hardest part is getting the gears or bearings off of the long tail shaft.  But people have made their own tools from pipes and other odd things.

I think it's this illustration.  You can always tear in to it until you get stuck then put it back together.

image.png

13 hours ago, Patcon said:

I don't use the search feature on the forum. I use a Google search and use "site:classiczcars.com" at the end. It will crawl this site alone for results.

I get better results this way

Use "siteunseen classiczcars.com" and it'll crawl my arse. ROFL

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I've had a few apart for small things but have not replaced the adapter plate bearings.  From what I've read the hardest part is getting the gears or bearings off of the long tail shaft.  But people have made their own tools from pipes and other odd things.

I think it's this illustration.  You can always tear in to it until you get stuck then put it back together.

image.png

I have this type bearing splitter tool I bought some years ago - I think it will work for that extension

screenshot-www.amazon.com-2024.05.14-10_24_03.png

Edited by HusseinHolland

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I used black rtv

hmmm.... I'm assuming no leaks for you. Not really a fan of that type sealant for things that are a royal PITA to fix should there is an issue. I think I still have HondaBond from the last transaxle I assembled, I'll use that if I still have a good portion.

Edited by HusseinHolland